• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Converting Pedersoli Mortimer percussion to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fez

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Has anyone converted a Pedersoli Mortimer percussion to a flintlock? If so, was it fairly straight forward?

Last edited:
Assuming that the lock will fit in the percussion lock mortise, you're going to need a flint breech plug.

I can't speak directly about the Mortimer -
But I have converted 2 other Pedersoli rifles (a 50 cal Pennsylvania Dixie Delux and a 45 cal Kentucky)
Both of these I used the Pedersoli lock and they both fit with a very minimum of fitting in the mortise.
The holes where I removed the drums were perfectly placed and I installed OXYOKE liners in both of them.
Took way less than an hour each to convert them.
Both have been excellent performers and near perfect ignition records.
Send an email to Pedersoli and the service rep there should be able to verify if that will work with your specific model.
Every e-mail I have ever sent them was answered promptly and completely. These are great folks to deal with.

I can't speak directly about the Mortimer -
But I have converted 2 other Pedersoli rifles (a 50 cal Pennsylvania Dixie Delux and a 45 cal Kentucky)
Both of these I used the Pedersoli lock and they both fit with a very minimum of fitting in the mortise.
The holes where I removed the drums were perfectly placed and I installed OXYOKE liners in both of them.
Took way less than an hour each to convert them.
Both have been excellent performers and near perfect ignition records.
Send an email to Pedersoli and the service rep there should be able to verify if that will work with your specific model.
Every e-mail I have ever sent them was answered promptly and completely. These are great folks to deal with.
Thanks Griz,

I had contacted them through email but the response I received was that I needed a different stock, so maybe something was lost in the translation haha.

I just resent another email and hope to get a response to my question. I will post here what I find out in case anyone else is interested.

Depending on where your are -
I would be happy to meet up and see if my locks would fit, that would be a lot cheaper than having to add the cost of a new stock.
Maybe you could take a picture of your lock and add some dimensions to it and I'll compare that to my locks.

I would be happy to meet up and see if my locks would fit, that would be a lot cheaper than having to add the cost of a new stock.
Maybe you could take a picture of your lock and add some dimensions to it and I'll compare that to my locks.
Anybody shortened an Armi Sport 1842 Springfield .69 musket into a short rifle? I know they had a brief run of factory like that some years back; been thinking about shortening mine, sort of like a "gone West after the War" musket. Actually, wish I'd got the smoothbore version, I have enough rifled muskets!

[/QUOTE

I'm pretty sure that the percussion barrel has a chambered patent breech, which means there is no drum that can removed and replaced with a vent liner. The entire breech plug would have to be replaced. My flint Mortimer shotgun has a a patent breech.

Last edited:
I have several Pedersoli rifles - 2 of which I converted from percussion to flint by removing the drum and installing a liner - no other changes required. The drum threads and the liner threads are identical - drum and liner are interchangeable depending on what you want to shoot - no other changes are required to jump from one lock technology to the next.
Both of those use a version of a patent breech with a much smaller hole drilled from the bottom of the barrel through the breech plug until it reaches the intersection of the hole drilled for the drum. That ignition hole is not at the bottom of the barrel where a rod and jag can reach the ignition flash channel.
What I don't know is what the percussion system on the Mortimer? Is it a snail that is cast into the breech plug like a TC or IA uses? Or is it like the Pedersoli Kentucky and Frontier where the barrel and breech appear as a single entity and the drum is a cylinder and lined up in the center of the flat and drilled through until it intersect the hole drilled in the breech plug?
I have not had the opportunity to see or shoot one yet so that's why I asked the question. All of the other Pedersoli rifles that I own, have seen or shot were made to the factory standard where the non-gendered rifle stock and barrel could be fitted either way and shipped as what was needed to fill the order. That's why they are so easy to change over.
If the Mortimer has a snail cast into the breech plug, then the conversion would require a breech plug change.
This is my Kentucky to illustrate how easy it was to change it. 10 minutes and it can be changed back.
I repeat - I do not know how the Mortimer is made - it may be just like the rest of the Pedersoli guns - or it might not be!
20211014_213203.jpg

Anybody shortened an Armi Sport 1842 Springfield .69 musket into a short rifle? I know they had a brief run of factory like that some years back; been thinking about shortening mine, sort of like a "gone West after the War" musket. Actually, wish I'd got the smoothbore version, I have enough rifled muskets!
Can you get someone like Holt to convert it to smooth for you?
I’ve seen some old guns that were just hacksaws off. But I would have it professionally done and crowned

Back