• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting Pedersoli Frontier Percussion .50 to Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Have any of you had any experience converting a Pedersoli Frontier Percussion .50 to Flint? If so what steps are ne3eded? Best way top proceed?

Not as easy as one might think. Some stock work is needed and if you will keep the flint lock on permanently, fine. My advise is to replace the weapon with what you desire rather than trying to change locks. I have seen many locks converted from flint to percussion, some good; some bad, but still functionable.
If a flint lock has been purchased it should have a pattern, if not the lock will have to be disassembled to used the back plate as a pattern. What I have seen with what I call reverse ignition systems is the touch hole is a problem to line up with the pan. A forum search here will explain more on touch hole placement. I am not saying it isn't impossible to get a flint lock that is a breeze to install, I just have never been that lucky.
What ever, good luck and be patient.

I have done it on a 36 cal frontier . Unscrew the drum replace it with a pedersoli touch hole liner and pedersoli or rpl flint lock and good to go. On the rpl lock i had to file were the pan meets the barrel to fully seat the lock into the stock . Touch hole lined up at the sun set position .This is just how it worked out for me . I dont know if the all will go that easy or not. Just my experience

I have done it on a 36 cal frontier . Unscrew the drum replace it with a pedersoli touch hole liner and pedersoli or rpl flint lock and good to go. On the rpl lock i had to file were the pan meets the barrel to fully seat the lock into the stock . Touch hole lined up at the sun set position .This is just how it worked out for me . I dont know if the all will go that easy or not. Just my experience
That is pretty much what I am hoping for, thanks!

I too converted a Pedersoli Frontier .36 from percussion to flint using a Pedersoli flint lock. After removeing drum & nipple and replacing it with a touch hole liner, I just switched out the locks and that was a breeze. No issues with alignment, and for some reason, I was able to shoot the flint lock better than the percussion.

Hello,

Have any of you had any experience converting a Pedersoli Frontier Percussion .50 to Flint? If so what steps are ne3eded? Best way top proceed?
Piece of cake. Since Pedersoli uses the exact same basic gun for either - use Pedersoli parts an just replace the parts.
I have done 2 of mine - a Kentucky and a Pennsylvania Dixie.
I had some minor fit issues with the Kentucky so it took a half hour longer. Issues were very minor.
The one thing I did not use factory parts on was the liner.
I really like the OX-YOKE Allen drive liners. They are super easy to change out and if you want to remove the liner for some deep cleaning - it's a snap to get them out.

Piece of cake. Since Pedersoli uses the exact same basic gun for either - use Pedersoli parts an just replace the parts.
I have done 2 of mine - a Kentucky and a Pennsylvania Dixie.
I had some minor fit issues with the Kentucky so it took a half hour longer. Issues were very minor.
The one thing I did not use factory parts on was the liner.
I really like the OX-YOKE Allen drive liners. They are super easy to change out and if you want to remove the liner for some deep cleaning - it's a snap to get them out.
That is good advice, friend. Thanks!

I too converted a Pedersoli Frontier .36 from percussion to flint using a Pedersoli flint lock. After removeing drum & nipple and replacing it with a touch hole liner, I just switched out the locks and that was a breeze. No issues with alignment, and for some reason, I was able to shoot the flint lock better than the percussion.
Nice!

So anyone have a percussion lock and drum left over from a conversion? I am contemplating the opposite conversion. Flint to percussion on my Pedersoli Kentucky .32

So anyone have a percussion lock and drum left over from a conversion? I am contemplating the opposite conversion. Flint to percussion on my Pedersoli Kentucky .32
I have a set (drum and nipple with complete lock) from a Pedersoli Kentucky - I'll trade you straight across - each of us paying own own freight cost.
Here is the thread
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/converting-pedersoli-kentucky-from-cap-to-flint.117232/
20211107_210930.jpg

20211107_210923.jpg

Hello,

I don’t own a Frontier, but I do have a Pedersoli Scout with both a percussion and flint lock. Just a matter of switching the drum out with a touch hole liner, or vice versa. Both locks work well, although I rarely use the percussion lock. Check with Pedersoli and see if it’s a ‘factory’ option for the Frontier.

I don’t own a Frontier, but I do have a Pedersoli Scout with both a percussion and flint lock. Just a matter of switching the drum out with a touch hole liner, or vice versa. Both locks work well, although I rarely use the percussion lock. Check with Pedersoli and see if it’s a ‘factory’ option for the Frontier.
Thank you!

Back