• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

converting Lyman Great Plains to full stock, opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a cheap deal on a lyman 50 cal. great plains flintlock and was thinking maybe buy a stock blank and convert it into a fullstock Hawken style. maybe the barrel is too short, i don't know. any thoughts on if it could be done and look ok?

Track of the Wolf has a full length pre-carve stock for Investarm/Lyman guns. It will take up to a 36in barrel. There is a T/C Hawken with 32in GM barrel on gunbroker done up in like fashion and other than they left the wood too light-colored I like the looks of it.

Track of the Wolf has a full length pre-carve stock for Investarm/Lyman guns. It will take up to a 36in barrel. There is a T/C Hawken with 32in GM barrel on gunbroker done up in like fashion and other than they left the wood too light-colored I like the looks of it.

I didn't know that so I just looked at track's site, that would make things a lot easier.
thanks
ou
tom

One other thought. Don’t know how the new ones are attached but, the underrib/thimbles on the Great Plains I had in the 1970’s was brazed or soldered on. Might be somethin’ to consider.

Track of the Wolf has a full length pre-carve stock for Investarm/Lyman guns.
They do,, but it's the same 98% inlet stock available for T/C.
The saved or re-used components are that close,, so that the needed in-letting for both are the same.
Track does not make them, They purchase and re-list from Pecitonica,,
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml

Please note that these stocks are not simply "drop-in" replacements,, they do require a significant amount of work for everything to fit.

As I recall the stock at TOW is from Pecatonica. If so, you can contact them and have them turn out one that's shaped, but with only the barrel channel inletted. I did that, and it worked out well. Their wood grading is exceptional, and they generally understate how good each grade actually is. My phone call with them was very professional and helpful, and delivery on the custom stock was quick.

I can't find that Thomspson with the green mt barrel on Gunbroker. Do you remember what they title it?

Gunbroker item number 800948297

Full stockn green mountain 54 cal, 1 in 70

If one has the skills to do this why not get a kit from Track etc? The resulting rifle made from a quality parts set will be far better than the Lyman.

I have taken apart several GPR's. They are made of rough cast sloppy parts of modern design. As beginners rifle it is OK. Trying to make something nice out if it is going spinning your wheels.

I considered this with a TC a few years back but I was left with these dilemmas...

My good used left over parts will be searching for more parts ( a barrel) to make another TC rifle.

The new stock will require a major build with as much effort as a full house build....and I'll still have all those parts left over.

I decided to keep the TC (I later sold it, the guy was tickled with it).. the TC and in this case GPR ....it is what it is and that ain't bad.

In the end, I decided to build a new rifle with new parts.

Back