• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting Great Plains Flintlock to Caplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benb said:
I guess my next question is, .50 or .54 caliber for Rocky Mountain Elk?

Well Pilgrim, the 50 will work. The 54 has a similar velocity and a little more lead; will give you a bit more reach and punch. I don't have any problem purchasing stuff. My problem is a lack of patience. Killing, with a scoped rifle, from too far away.

I don't have a preference for a shop. I'm akin to a kid who can't drive by a McDonalds. The highest concentration of pawn shops in the Springs is along Platte Ave between Circle and Union. Academy Blvd has some. Bring a range rod, cleaning jag and patches to check for a bulge.

There is a pawn shop in the springs called "stop drop and shop" that runs ads on Armslist, might be worth a call. There are two used on Gunbroker right now, a 50 perc and 54 flinter. I'm shopping for one....seems like I'm always shopping....lol.

GET a 54and like I said go to track of the wolf and go to American long rifle/ Colonial long rifle and you can make it any way you what I will make it like a Jagger rifle and you got all of year to get it done

.54 for sure. Maybe even a .58 (that makes a REEEALY big hole :grin: and impresses those at the range (or in the woods) when they see it on paper!

You can kill deer easy with a .50 but a few elk seem to have an incredible will to survive and you want em down NOW. A buddy (Bow/Arrow)shot a cow over water, double lung (just clipped 2nd). Cow ran 10 yds and stood, started to wobble and a car drove by and that near ready to drop cow ran 1/4 mile!

Whomping... with that deep rifling in a .54 is there any reason not to have a smooth .56?
Uh, 'cepting recoil maybe with that GPR crescent butt. But you'd be bundled up for winter. And folks shoot the .54 GPH with heavy duty bullets and charges.
Reckon it would depend on how far you was shooting.

Although this group favors roundballs, as I do myself for most applications, for true "whompability" don't overlook a conical bullet for a tough critter like an elk. When headed after elk, I use a Lyman .50 cal. Trade rifle (used $200) shooting a hand-cast 395 grain Lyman "Plains Bullet" with an over the powder wad and 90 grains of 3F powder. This combo delivers touching holes at 100 yards and true "whompability" for an elk sized animal.

The Lyman GPR is a pretty good rifle and consistency should not be a problem if it is loaded properly, the vent kept clear and has a sharp, good quality flint. In most cases it is easier to convert from percussion to flint than from flint to percussion unless you change out barrels and locks.

If I didn't live as far north as I do I would be shooting regularly with the Colorado Springs ML's in Penrose, great people. Thats where I get my powder.

Happy Thanksgiving

I converted my GPR from flint to percussion by installing a mule ear lock. I just screw in a nipple into the barrel, and swap out the flint lock to the mule ear. I did this cause it is almost impossible to get real BP here in CT. I have since pooled with some members of my club to get BP from Powder Inc. I really like the ability to swap out locks. It makes the gun more versatile to me.

I converted a Dixie Mountain rifle from Flint to cap but the conversion was in kit form so it was easy. I plan some day after I retire and have time to devote to flint, to change it back.

If you read the fine print for this mule ear lock you will see it is a dired replacement for their Durs Egg lock. I do not think it would fit a Great Plains rifle without a lot of work, and then you would not be able to switch back. I got my mule ear lock from Bernie Tulino who makes them specifically for direct replacements of T/C or Lyman locks. Don't know if he is still in business.

FS:
The Maine Powder House is under new ownership. Call (207)671-5580. Yarmouth not Limington, tell Pauline Nit Wit says hello. They are also on facebook.
Nit Wit

I converted my .50 GPR flint to percussion probably 8 years ago or so. Actually it was easy if you have basic mechanical knowledge. Firstly I ordered two drums from Track, nipples and 2 repacement vent liners (two of each in case I messed up). I then ordered a new percussion lock (Lyman). I drilled and tapped the touchhole to match the new drum threads as well as the new vent liner threads (ordered these with same threads) and fitted the drum. Then I did a lot of filing to get the lock to fit around the new drum (they are made to fit a snail assembly) followed by marking the position of the new nipple on the drum. I then drilled it out and tapped to match the threads. Once done I removed the hammer from the lock and heated it to bend into the correct shape to make perfect contact and followed with a heat treat to restore proper hardness. There, all there is to it!
Now I still have a gap at the top on the lock where the filing had to happen and no longer fits properly to the wood, thus exposing the mechanism to the elements, but I can switch back to flint anytime.
You know, come to think of it, buying a new percussion barrel and lock for the stock would have been much easier after all.
Walk
Hi. I live in Spain and want to buy a 54 caliber Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle. My problem is that the only gunshop in Spain that imports Investarm rifles from Italy, only has a flintlock. I want to transform it from flintlock to percussion. I want to use the classic system (which was also used by the Hawken brothers). In other words, screw a side drum into the vent hole, and then place a nipple in it. I also want to use the same lock, modifying it, removing de cock, the frizzen and its spring. As I have already bought Track of the Wolf in the United States, I ask your advice, I have left over what drum I should buy? If possible in metric thread. Hammer I have also seen that it has Track of the Wolf. I can buy everything and a gunsmith adjust it. I would appreciate if any of you have made this transformation send me photos to my email of how the rifle looks after it has been transformed and the drum, nipple and percussion hammer have been placed.

I want to buy this rifle to compare it to my Hawken Rocky Mountain from Pedersoli, from 54 caliber too. Shooting at 50 meters and to compete informally with him. Also for hunting, because it weighs a pound less than Pedersoli's Hawken. Investarm muzzleloaders are not imported into Spain, as they are not appreciated because they have coil springs, no V falt springs. But a gunshop has a LGP in flintlock, and since it doesn't sell it, it sells it to me cheap.

I await your advice to be able to make the transformation and if you have photos, so much the better.

Thank you very much to all of you and kind regards from Spain.

Will post the requested photos.
Regarding the drum, I drilled out the vent slightly larger and tapped to fit the 1/2” drum, 5/16x24 thread size. I bought the one not tapped for the nipple, then tapped it myself in order to get the alignment. As it was, I still had to use a thin shim. Now for the lock, I used the factory flintlock, removed the frizzen, used a die grinder the work the pan until it would support the drum while fitting in place. I didn’t worry about the coil spring. It doesn’t bother me. For the hammer, I found a suitable match replacement and did some minor forge work until functioned. I believe that was it. Seems simple but did take a lot of time to complete.
If anybody is not skilled nor understands the risks/precautions involved with a project such as this, I do not recommend it be undertaken. Done incorrectly it does put yourself and others at risk.
Walk

Attachments

• 27AAC95D-15D1-4F26-B191-A8252601488E.jpeg
    27AAC95D-15D1-4F26-B191-A8252601488E.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 84871E54-F119-4563-8AC8-CE8945905DCD.jpeg
    84871E54-F119-4563-8AC8-CE8945905DCD.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 71
  • 00D571F9-50E2-45D2-AA65-8EA934CE16CB.jpeg
    00D571F9-50E2-45D2-AA65-8EA934CE16CB.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DE759837-C358-4B13-9D5B-24DBF13BFAE8.jpeg
    DE759837-C358-4B13-9D5B-24DBF13BFAE8.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi. Good morning Mr. Walkingeagle

Thank you very much for the information that you provide me, and especially for the photos. Conversion is just as I imagined it.
The photos will surely be very useful to my gunsmith.
Receive a cordial greeting from Spain. Miguel Angel.

Back