• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Converting a Traditions Penn Long Rifle from percussion to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,
Relatively new here and wondering if there is, on this forum or any link that may be available, instructions for converting a Traditions percussion 50 cal. Pennsylvania Long rifle to flint lock? What parts are needed, tools needed as well? I bought it in the early 2000s from Midway and it is a good shooter, but I have another percussion I shoot as well. I have read posts that allude to converting in general terms but nothing with enough detail for me to attempt it. I am fairly handy so I am not intimidated by trying it unless it is something that only a gunsmith should do. Huge amounts of knowledge on here and I am very appreciative of the brain trust, it has so far been very rewarding. Thank you in advance for any responses you may be able to provide.

Well it's not a simple "plug-n-play" swapping process.
You'd need the lock of course, preferably from the same model. Traditions usually uses two screws to mount the lock,, it's not known if those are in the same position with the flint vs. perc models,, chances are good they are, but that would require some specific research prior to the project.
The flintlock itself would need to be inlet properly to assure no gap between the lock and barrel flat.
The biggest issue is the drum install vs the vent install, , Is the vent hole centered in the same location as the drum in the different barrels?
The Drum is a 10mm x 1.25 thread in the barrel.
The vent is a much smaller 5 x .8mm thread,, so the existing hole in your barrel is much larger. A "custom" vent would need to be installed with the vent hole located in precise location to the pan.
Is it a possible conversion? I suppose it could be done, but you'd need to make sure "Bubba" is busy with a different project and no where near you when you try to make the change.

If the Traditions has a drum and nipple you need to know if it goes through the barrel and breech plug to the other side like CVA did or just screws into one side. If it just goes through only one side, there may be a vent insert available to replace the drum. That makes things simpler as you then need a compatible flintlock that will fit or adapt to the gun. Here is what I'm working on to convert a percussion CVA barrel that I picked up cheap to a flint/percussion interchangeable barrel. Had to make an adapter the same exact size to fill the threaded hole and replace the through the Breech plug drum from a M10x1.25 stainless bolt drilled and tapped for a 1/4x28 vent insert then drilled to match the powder pocket in the original drum that meets the bore of the barrel. I already had interchangeable Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Locks. The flint plate was a slight bit smaller but still fit ok in the lock recess. It's not a Traditions barrel but may give you some idea of what you get into doing this. Sort of an experiment on my part as I saw other posts where this was done to a CVA. Of course you proof fire from a distance, but I believe this is as strong as the original drum. I do like to be able convert if I want to as I have a Dixie Tenn Mountain rifle with an interchangeable drum and vent built from parts set up this way.

Attachments

• IMG_E2029.JPG
    IMG_E2029.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow guys thanks for the speedy responses. If I were to do this, it might be better accomplished by a competent black powder gunsmith or so it seems. I would definitely not want bubba working this and based on your comments, I would be bubba if I attempted it. I will confess that I was hoping for a more plug and play scenario or minor drilling and tapping, etc., sounds like if I could purchase a complete lock assembly and install it with whatever inletting would be necessary I might be willing to attempt it, but I wouldn't want to jack up the whole thing in the process. Once done, it would not need to be re-converted back to percussion of course

That has been done by someone because when I was researching this, I saw posts that did just that. I did not want to alter the drum on mine so it could be reused for percussion. It would simplify aligning the barrel bore to the smaller powder pocket in the breech plug. If doing this for a permanent flint conversion I probably would have tried that first. Would have to see what it looks like behind the drum when cut off from the threaded plug to say for sure.

Back