• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Converting a Lyman flintlock to a Chamber's Siler lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to research putting a Chambers Siler flintlock on a Deerstalker. Has anyone done this or researched it? I have my heart set on a Chambers LH Siler lock if it fits.

The gun is a LH 54 flintlock but handedness doesn't matter for comparison. I tried Chambers but he had no experience with the conversion. He did recommend getting the Track catalogue and comparing their full scale drawings. Track has no catalogues in stock.

I'm hoping someone has two guns to compare lock plate, sear arm location, and the bolster thickness.

Go to the Track of the wolf site and click on the lock. Notice that there's a place to download the picture to a PDF. Print the picture and then check the size of the picture with the dimensions of the lock in the description.

If that doesn't work, pm me and I'll get it to you since I have the catalog.

long cruise you nailed it. It required some manipulation of printer settings but the print of the builder's lock matched Chambers specs exactly. The sear bar, pan and plate would work but the lock bolt probably won't, oh well. The bolt location goes to a cast boss on the plate right where the siler main spring sits.

L&R makes a lock for your application. Called RPL locks they come in different configurations marked 01, 02, 03 iirc. They take a little inleting. I called them about replacing an obsolete lock from the 1950s. Very helpful and offered to provide the lock without the lock screw hole being drilled - a good call. I like buying direct from the manufacturer as a plus too for service and support.

I am not sure if the L & R RPL locks come left handed as the OP desires. However if the OP is going to all the trouble of replacing the original lock with a Chambers's Siler, he could just replace the lock bolt with one in the correct position and then use some easily obtainable side plate from the numerous suppliers to cover the original Lyman lock bolt hole.

Always wondered about those builders locks. Are they finished and assembled except for the shape of the plate?

I have one of these and am trying to figure out what to do with it. Smile.
It is quite a process since the parts have to be hardened also.
I attached the instructions for reference.

William

Attachments

• 20200606_220342.jpg
    20200606_220342.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200606_220412.jpg
    20200606_220412.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 94
Thank you all very much. I've been looking into tuning the Investarm lock. Also someone thought L&R might make a LH RPL Lock so I've emailed them. I'll update when they get back to me. I was hesitant to use their lock because of some negative reviews. It appears they went through a rough patch years ago but current reviews are positive.

L&R got back to me. They now produce a RPL 05LH for Lyman lefties. They quoted $185 + SH. That would be $300 CAD landed here, tax in, to Canada.

I have a left hand GPR flint . . . I also have a Chambers fowler and TVM Lancaster, both with LH silers. . . A siler would look great on it, but as some said, you'd need a builders lock then cut the plate to fit the rounded inlet.

I will say, that thought the Lyman Lock isn't all that historically correct, through much of the GPR is pretty good . . . my lock has never failed me and sparks very well. . . coil spring and all . . .

I have looked at L&R locks and they make a lot of LH locks, as I recall they don't have a left hand lyman replacement . . . though I could be mistaken. . . Yet, I just saw the post above . . that's good news that they do now have a RPL for the Lyman in LH . . . I don't like the looks of their RPL's as much as the Siler, but they are probably more like a Hawken lock.

Latest posts

Back