• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert to the Holy Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother-in-law and I bought TC unmentionables as our first trip into the muzzleloading adventure. We used Pyrodex and Triple 7. Then another friend got me interested in a TC caplock Hawken and real black powder. So, I put the unmentionable away and started using the Hawken. One day while shooting I noticed my brother-in-law could not get his bullet down the bore after one shot. He complained that it was a pain that he had to swab it out. He was using bullets and two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. I said clean your gun and try some of my black powder. So, he cleaned it up really good and we poured 100 grains of 2fg Goex in the unmentionable along with the same bullets he had been using. He shot it and then tried to reload. What a shock as the next load went down without swabbing. I think he took 5 shots and did not need to swab. He is a convert to real black powder however when I switched to flintlocks, I could not convert him. He shoots his unmentionable and I shoot my flintlock and we both use the same powder.

Anyone can put rounds from an AR, AK, Mini 14...etc, into a decent group. It takes TALENT and attention to detail to do that with a smoothie, or rifle musket, or Long rifle.

We do it because it is hard and that's what makes it so satisfying. I am, frankly, bored with the suppository guns. They are tools and nothing more. Front loaders are HERITAGE.
Suppository guns? What kind of lube should I use for those?

When I started with guns that were loaded at the muzzle there was nothing but black powder available, subs did not exist and inlines did not exist. Because of that I was ingrained with using BP. When subs came along I had no interest in using them and continued with black. The result is I have not used any subs and can't say yeah or nay on their worth. I did load 6 .45 Colt cartridges with Pyrodex, given by a friend, and was nowhere near impressed with it. I tried 5 Pyrodex loads in a c&b revolver and threw the rest of the can away.

Many like and use it and apparently are quite successful with it fueling their guns. I simply had no desire to do an honest test with it since BP was perfect for me. I shoot 99% flintlocks anyway.

For those of you who have been shooting real black powder for decades, this will certainly seem like I have just now received a firm grasp of the obvious. But I figured I'd share for the sake of others who may be, like me, a bit early in their journey.

I've been messing around with muzzleloaders for 3-4 years now. Started with a cap gun and Pyrodex. I figured that was all I'd ever really need.

But after I picked up a couple of flintlocks this year & was forced to find a way to feed those things, I got to try out real black powder -- some homemade and some bought. While it is necessary for the flintlocks, I figured I'd keep using the Pyrodex on my percussion guns. Ignition delays with percussion/Pyrodex were only slight but also common. It's faster than a flintlock but still feels noticeably slower than a modern weapon. I figured that was just how it went.

But then, just a couple months ago, I tried black powder in the percussion guns. Wow! While Pyrodex and CCI caps would give a very slight delay every few shots, real black powder feels almost like I'm shooting a modern weapon. I also have gotten better at making my own caps to feed those percussion guns. These caps have gotten more reliable and much more consistent ignition than anything I've bought pre-made. The combination of shooting real black powder with my own homemade caps has converted me to the church of the Holy Black. It's just better -- by a longshot. Now I know. I'm converted.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with those cans of Pyrodex in the cupboard.
Yup.

When I shoot at my club, I’ll take about 30 shots before a good thorough cleaning. I shoot a Lyman GPR in 54 cal. I’ve got a good buddy who shoots a T/C Hawken in 50 cal. He shoots 777 through it, I shoot goex. Always around the 25th shot ( give or take a few shots) he has a misfire or two and it always screws up his shot. I then take the time to make fun of him, as any good freind should. He’s tried every type of nipple known to man, so one shoot I convinced him to try FF Goex, he did and had no misfires at all. Now my buddy shoots nothing but Goex. Now I don’t know the science behind all this, it could be his lube he was using, it could be the humidity level in the air .. who knows…. But Goex has never let me down like the subs have in the past. Just my 2 cents..

I prefer real black simply because it is easier to ignite than most subs. As far as subs go, I exclusively use BH209 these days. Basically, if a rifle (always unmentionable) will handle BH209, that’s what I use. If it won’t (traditional as well as a surprising number of unmentionables won’t) then I just use real black. I’ll use Pyrodex if I can’t get real black but so far that hasn’t been an issue.

Technically a Shiloh Sharps in 50-70 is a modern firearm, and I'd say shooting one of those with blackpowder cartridges feels exactly like shooting a .50 Hawken with blackpowder (about 70 grains of it to be exact).

The day I have to go back to a substitute will be a sad day.
My cappers go off quick and more reliable with BP.
I have no issues with fouling as I use my self made lube.

If you are stuck with a stock of pyrodex you have the perfect excuse to purchase a suitable breech loader or old cartridge shotgun.

I loathe T7. Had constant ignition issues with it. Not one time did it ever ignite quickly like black. Delays and plain old missfires galore. Pyrodex isn't too bad, but old fashioned black works best for me. Sometimes one has to run what one can get his hands on for lack of availability. Black is my go-to, but I also have some Pyro on hand that I picked up when I was out of black and couldn't find any available anywhere. All I can ever find locally anymore is Pyro and pellets... 🤨

Back