• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Conversion question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Traditions percussion lock that I am considering converting to flintlock. L&R makes a conversion flintlock lock, I was wondering if there is any feedback or suggestions. It is a Traditions Pennsylvania with a 1-66 twist, and shoots prb wonderfully. It is a short, 24” barrel, and lightweight 6lb . I would be converting this for my grandsons, as a first flintlock.
According to info on L&R’s website, this should be a drop in, with minor fitting. My question is once I pull the drum, what do I use at the flash-hole?

Attachments

• 637138FD-1EF5-439A-96C8-F63995DC972E.jpeg
    637138FD-1EF5-439A-96C8-F63995DC972E.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 63793DF1-A30E-4CBC-A6F4-717EBE278C49.jpeg
    63793DF1-A30E-4CBC-A6F4-717EBE278C49.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 31
  • ADBEB005-08A7-4748-AEF7-CA97083A4A80.jpeg
    ADBEB005-08A7-4748-AEF7-CA97083A4A80.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 29
The easiest and least expensive way to convert that to flint is remove the drum, buy a vent liner, and find a traditions lock (flint) on eBay. I’ve done it. Doing it this way you can’t convert it right back to percussion if wanted. Trying to fit an L&R lock to it is not going to be easy. Lots of wood is going to have to be removed. It is NOT an easy drop in fit. Mess it up and you’re stuck with a club.

this is the vent liner you need.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/960/1/THL-CVA-S

Last edited:
It won't work. The Spanish made guns (CVA, Traditions, etc.) have a different drum/touch hole design, where these go through the breech plug and screw into the far side of the barrel. Once installed, they are drilled out from the muzzle. If you remove them, it is almost impossible to line that hole up with the bore when reinstalling them. (Don't ask how I learned this, PLEASE!) From what I read years ago, the flint touch hole was actually a drum screwed in and drilled, then cut off flush with the barrel flat. You might think about getting a second barrel for flint to go with a new flint lock.

~Kees~

I have a Traditions percussion lock that I am considering converting to flintlock. L&R makes a conversion flintlock lock, I was wondering if there is any feedback or suggestions. It is a Traditions Pennsylvania with a 1-66 twist, and shoots prb wonderfully. It is a short, 24” barrel, and lightweight 6lb . I would be converting this for my grandsons, as a first flintlock.
According to info on L&R’s website, this should be a drop in, with minor fitting. My question is once I pull the drum, what do I use at the flash-hole?
My very 1st blackpowder rifle was a 70’s made CVA .50 calibre Mountain Rifle…I retired that rifle years ago…

I think I'm going to follow your lead. Take that ole rifle, rebarrel it to a .54 calibre, and convert it from percussion to flint.

Keep us posted…

Has anyone here converted a traditions percussion to flint? I’ve read that cva and traditions used to cut and drill the drum. I’d like some one on one insight before I embark. I don’t want to invest in a new barrel for this one though. I want to convert what I have if it’s possible and if it isn’t I’ll just keep it a caplock.

Has anyone here converted a traditions percussion to flint? I’ve read that cva and traditions used to cut and drill the drum. I’d like some one on one insight before I embark. I don’t want to invest in a new barrel for this one though. I want to convert what I have if it’s possible and if it isn’t I’ll just keep it a caplock.
I am in the same boat,I have a very accurate, lightweight Traditions percussion .50, short and light enough for my grandson. I started this thread, but after reading numerous replies telling me it won’t work, I decided to keep it percussion

What breech do you have? Do you have the CVA/Traditions Breech pictured below?

1649853350847.png

You can permanently change from a percussion drum by cutting the drum off and drilling and tapping a touch hole liner in its place. That will leave the portion of the drum that passes past the powder chamber intact and blocking off the recess on the far side of the powder chamber. That modification will permanently lock the breech plug into the barrel. Do be aware that CVA/Traditions carefully torques the bolster into place. This means it will require a lot of force to remove the original bolster.

One could remove the drum and replace that drum with a touch hole liner that partially fills the CVA/Traditions threads. As long as the breech plug is not removed, the touch hole can be replaced with the original drum. You do end up with that cavity to collect fouling at the breech. It's not one of the recommended conversion practices and certainly voids any warranty.

If the breech is the conventional flat faced breech, then the drum can be removed and a touch hole liner installed.

It's far easier to find a replacement flint barrel that has the proper breeching in place.

Search results for query: Breech | The Muzzleloading Forum

Last edited:
Could you cut the drum off even with side of barrel then thread the hole in drum and plug the hole then drill a flash hole in the plug

What breech do you have? Do you have the CVA/Traditions Breech pictured below?

View attachment 133714
You can permanently change from a percussion drum by cutting the drum off and drilling and tapping a touch hole liner in its place. That will leave the portion of the drum that passes past the powder chamber intact and blocking off the recess on the far side of the powder chamber. That modification will permanently lock the breech plug into the barrel. Do be aware that CVA/Traditions carefully torques the bolster into place. This means it will require a lot of force to remove the original bolster.

One could remove the drum and replace that drum with a touch hole liner that partially fills the CVA/Traditions threads. As long as the breech plug is not removed, the touch hole can be replaced with the original drum. You do end up with that cavity to collect fouling at the breech. It's not one of the recommended conversion practices and certainly voids any warranty.

If the breech is the conventional flat faced breech, then the drum can be removed and a touch hole liner installed.

It's far easier to find a replacement flint barrel that has the proper breeching in place.

Search results for query: Breech | The Muzzleloading Forum

I have replaced a CVA drum in a mountain rifle and it wasn't built the way CVA claims in the attachment. The drum didn't cross the powder chamber but rather ended in the chamber with the end of the drum filed off at an angle facing up the bore direction. It makes me wonder 🤔

I just picked up a Pedersoli Scout here on the forum. That should be light enough for my grandson to handle. Not a bad idea to have a percussion and a flint in same caliber and size. Lots of rainy days here in deer season!

I have converted a couple of CVA's from percussion to flint but I can not speak of the Traditions.. On the CVA's one of these adapters make it easier. It is threaded internally for the Spanish CVA vent liner and requires fitting cutting and filing.

Thanks
O.R.

Attachments

• CVA 1.jpg
    CVA 1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 8
  • CVA 2.jpg
    CVA 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back