• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Conversion Chart, Decimals, Fractions & Inches.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this handy chart on the Internet. I thought I would share it with you.

Shoot Straight, my Friends!

Walt

Attachments

• Decimal Conversion Chart.page 1.jpg
    Decimal Conversion Chart.page 1.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Decimal Conversion Chart.page 2.jpg
    Decimal Conversion Chart.page 2.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 0
Charts are not required. Just divide the numerator by the denominator.

1 divided by 4 is .250

13 divided by 32 is .4062

11 divided by 16 is .6875

And so on. We all carry calculators with us at this point.
One of my barrels is .939. According to the chart, it's 15/16". Eyeballing it with a ruler was 13/16".

I have no idea what formula to use otherwise. Unless it was about interest rates, dollars, and cents, math was not my favorite subject.

Walt

Charts are rounded up, or down, for the printers convienience.
I do the same as 64 springer.
Another usefull number, to convert metric to inches, or vise/versa, .....is ".0393701" multiply metric by that, and it will give you inches. Divide inches by that, it will give you metric.

Dave

One of my barrels is .939. According to the chart, it's 15/16". Eyeballing it with a ruler was 13/16".

I have no idea what formula to use otherwise. Unless it was about interest rates, dollars, and cents, math was not my favorite subject.

Walt
You can't measure .100 with a ruler.

Charts are rounded up, or down, for the printers convienience.
I do the same as 64 springer.
Another usefull number, to convert metric to inches, or vise/versa, .....is ".0393701" multiply metric by that, and it will give you inches. Divide inches by that, it will give you metric.

Dave
I love formulas! Thanks for sharing!

Walt

An engineer's rule is useful as well for measuring different fractions of an inch. It will have different scales for tenths of an inch, tweentieths of an inch, thirtieths of an inch, etc.

An engineer's rule is useful as well for measuring different fractions of an inch. It will have different scales for tenths of an inch, tweentieths of an inch, thirtieths of an inch, etc.
I have never seen a scale with a ‘tweentieths’ or ‘thirtieths’ of an inch on it. Could you post a photograph one, or maybe it’s just a typo, something I am prone to? Or are you possibly thinking of a triangular drafting ruler?

It is a type of triangular drafting ruler. My understanding is that there are two different types. An architect's scale has fractions like we commonly use in the American system, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, etc. An engineer's scale is in inches, but in multiples of ten, so 1/10, 1/20, 1/30, etc. They are just two different systems used for two different purposes. If you are looking at an aerial photograph of a known scale and want to extrapolate how long a pasture is, you would find something of a known length and use an engineer's scale to determine the length in question. If you are looking at a set of house plans and want to know the distance between two points, and architect's scale would probably be more appropriate.

It is a type of triangular drafting ruler. My understanding is that there are two different types. An architect's scale has fractions like we commonly use in the American system, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, etc. An engineer's scale is in inches, but in multiples of ten, so 1/10, 1/20, 1/30, etc. They are just two different systems used for two different purposes. If you are looking at an aerial photograph of a known scale and want to extrapolate how long a pasture is, you would find something of a known length and use an engineer's scale to determine the length in question. If you are looking at a set of house plans and want to know the distance between two points, and architect's scale would probably be more appropriate.
Yep, I have bunches of them. Started my career on a drawing board before CAD came along. They are pretty much useless in my opinion for measuring actual objects (gun barrel flats for example), but if you know the scale of the drawing or print you are looking at, they work fine, just not close to to the accuracy of CAD. I have no idea how many I have, though I have multiple engineering and architectural triangular rulers made out of metal and plastic, plus an untold number scales for drafting machines. Still have three drafting boards, though really only use one of them for what one could call drafting. Here is a photograph of a handful of various scales I pulled out of a ‘storage drawer’.
1680408310019.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be time to upgrade your ruler and/or your glasses.
View attachment 211582
That ruler only goes up to 100ths. we are talking about 1000ths.. I don't know of any one being able to read a 100th, it is just to small. You will need a micrometer to read 1000th. You were right on one thing ,I do need new glasses. I can't even read 100ths on a rule.

Back