• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contemporary?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you please explain what contemporary means when referring to rifles or a maker. Is it different than traditional or are they similar?
It's one of those words that has to be read in context. That is, the subject of the sentence has to be considered.

If someone is talking about something modern, contemporary means something that is current or was recently made.

If the sentence is talking about life or something in the 1700's (or any other time period), contemporary means something that was in use or made in the 1700's (or in the other time period).

For instance, "Little Richards songs were contemporary with the mid 1950's Rhythm and Blues music."

"George Washington wore a contemporary top coat."

Last edited:
It's one of those words that has to be read in context. That is, the subject of the sentence has to be considered.

If someone is talking about something modern, contemporary means something that is current or was recently made.

If the sentence is talking about life or something in the 1700's (or any other time period), contemporary means something that was in use or made in the 1700's (or in the other time period).

For instance, "Little Richards songs were contemporary with the mid 1950's Rhythm and Blues music."

"George Washington wore a contemporary top coat."
That sheds more light on it, thank you very much.

I guess I could have said it easier if I had said, contemporary means "popular, or used at the time".

A cell phone is contemporary today. It wasn't 40 years ago because it didn't exist.
Breaker points in a cars ignition system were contemporary 60 years ago but they aren't today.

Or that different unrelated things were going on together. Wheelocks were used in Germany while contemporary to that snaphaunce were being developed mostly in the Low Countries and micalet in Spanish areas.
Dainty Ohio guns were contemporary to the bull thrower masive undainty Hawkens.

Could you please explain what contemporary means when referring to rifles or a maker. Is it different than traditional or are they similar?
It simply means that it is modern made, not an antique & NOT necessarily a reproduction of an antique item. Contemporary items are NOT necessarily true copies of 18th century items. Do your research before purchasing any contemporary equipment. Knives with pewter bolsters for instance!!!
Keith.

I have a 1840 Jacob Roosa Kentucky Rifle made in Kentucky or Ohio. It is contemporary to the side wheel steamboats that were chugging up and down the Ohio/Mississippi Rivers in the 1840s.
I'm going to build a contemporary copy of this rifle using a contemporary barrel, contemporary wood and contemporary castings from Track of the Wolf.

Back