• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Considering quitting!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting used to be fun. Now it's hard to find anything. Round balls sold out! Are you kidding me! Melting pots sold out! Really! Ball molds sold out! What's going on in the gun world is enough to make me want to throw up & just quit!
Then Quit! More for us! No one is holding you to this forum or the hobby.

Don't do that, quitting is easy, but if you do what guns do you have to sell :ghostly:. Just kidding, this won't last forever, just may seem like it. During WW2 lots of shooters had to wait until the end of the war for ammo and supplies to be made available again. Once again people who had stocked up when the storm clouds were brewing were able to hunt and sling a little lead for pleasure during the duration.

Last edited:
Shooting used to be fun. Now it's hard to find anything. Round balls sold out! Are you kidding me! Melting pots sold out! Really! Ball molds sold out! What's going on in the gun world is enough to make me want to throw up & just quit!
Frying pans avalible at wal mart, Callahan will make you a mold
Remember the outlaw Josie wales chief Dan George, Indians endeavor to persevere. We must endeavor to persevere.

You aren't trying very hard. A few days ago I received a Lee bottom pour melting pot from a member here and then received a nice .451 RB mold. I've managed to put together all the lead, bullets, powder and flints to last me a few years not to mention scoring a Trapper .50 cal pistol from DGW. Maybe I'm just lucky. Naww. <shrug>

wm

Hey, there's always bows, arrows and spears......... Trebuchets, catapults and Ballistas if you're feeling industrious....... :thumb:

Hey, there's always bows, arrows and spears......... Trebuchets, catapults and Ballistas if you're feeling industrious....... :thumb:

I've been focusing more on archery lately myself. I have a nice older Excalibur crossbow and a couple Howard Hill longbows, with plenty of arrows for all, and archery tackle is still readily available at this point, as well. And unlike my MLs I can shoot them in the backyard. :thumb:

I've been focusing more on archery lately myself. I have a nice older Excalibur crossbow and a couple Howard Hill longbows, with plenty of arrows for all, and archery tackle is still readily available at this point, as well. And unlike my MLs I can shoot them in the backyard. :thumb:
Then there's the ever popular soda gun..........

iu

Guessing you would call me a hoarder. I like to have around five years worth minimum of consumables (powder, lead, flints, percussion caps, etc) on hand. If you are always buying what you need to shoot next week today, you will find yourself disappointed on a regular basis. Good luck in your quest to ‘stock up’ for your next shooting session.

I’ve had my powder, lead pot molds, acroutments and so forth for years. I think that hoarding is all part of the sport... and when I first entered this madness I done just that!
I beleive this sport promotes self sufficiency, the basic nature of it allows us to make most of our gear. The only thing I buy any more is powder.... With that being said, if your having trouble finding stuff ask on here. If your dead set on quitting let me know what kinda guns/gear you have... I may be intersted... 😉

IMO, none of this is a necessity, it's a sport and a hobby, and a great one at that. We should thank our lucky stars that waiting for percussion caps or round ball supply to return to normal is our big problem. Lowes is listing 5/8 in. OSB board for $45.67 a sheet. What if one was in need of a new roof or in the process of building that dream house right now? Now there's a problem worth giving up over.

Seriouslly mate.
How long did your last box of balls last?
Do you have 1 left?

Do you have a little camp stove or can you light a campfire?
Have you got some pure lead?
An old spoon to use as a ladle?

If so you already have everything except a mold.
Go graba big pair of natural cuttlefish bones. Those chew things for parrots.flatten the porous faces and basically make a pair of blank mold blocks. Make sure you can match the edges to match the faces.
Push the 2 pieces together with the ball between them.
Open them up and create a sprue.
Now you have a mold.
All you need is the time and the will.
Plaster of paris can also be used but cracks up unless it is proper dry and tempered with sand.

Yes, with some effort and a little ingenuity, supplies can be made. Too many people now are conditioned to just walk into a store and buy everything they need. Put yourself into your sport you will get more satisfaction from it. Now if you really want to quit, just send me all of your gear and I will dispose of it for you. 😉

I've made hundreds of round balls and don't own a melting pot. I use an old pan or ladle over an open fire. Scrap lead can be found with a little leg work. There's folks on here that can make a mold for you. I shoot flintlock so I hunt the woods and lake banks for flint. I've learned to use pyrodex (which is readily available in my area) in my flintlock. I also made and use a bow that I made from a green limb and some baling twine. Cheap arrows can be found in almost any sporting goods store but I've made those too. If the bow breaks I'll make another. A lot depends on how much effort you want to put into this sport.

By the way, I also make knives, bags and measures. Some from historically correct materials, some not. For example a 16 ounce plastic coke bottle with screw on lid makes a dandy shot holder.

Back in the day you had to keep a large supply to hold you until you made it back to where you could resupply. Most of us who are addicted to the smell of the black powder smoke keep a supply to hold us over. If you are not addicted get out before you become addicted and can't survive with out your fix.

Back