• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Considering a Double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the gun arrived the day after my birthday...excellent service from Dixie. Arrived sooner than expected.

The general appearance of the gun was favorable. Nicely packaged in a hard plastic case with inlet hard foam for shipping. Nice finish, good wood to metal fit, and well balanced. Drop and fit were perfect. Both triggers were good, and the locks operated well; half cock and full cock with good release of the hammers.

BUT The Pedersoli team let me down on this one. The two locks appeared odd to me, and I saw that the frizzens did not line up when opened. The right frizzen was straighter (not open as far) as the left. The right frizzen spring was too strong and did not allow the frizzen to open properly. On further examination, the pan of the left lock had been hogged out to make it line up with the flash hole in the barrel. The right pan was untouched, but the flash hole was too low in the pan for my tastes.

I held the gun for ten minutes and then called Dixie and asked for them to send me a return label. They readily agreed to the return and refund and I will have it back in their hands next week. Unfortunately, they did not have another in stock and I will have to wait until they restock to order another.

I really hope the next one is perfect, as it fit really well and I wanted to shoot it. But for $1500, it needs to be better than it was.

ADK Bigfoot

Well, the gun arrived the day after my birthday...excellent service from Dixie. Arrived sooner than expected.

The general appearance of the gun was favorable. Nicely packaged in a hard plastic case with inlet hard foam for shipping. Nice finish, good wood to metal fit, and well balanced. Drop and fit were perfect. Both triggers were good, and the locks operated well; half cock and full cock with good release of the hammers.

BUT The Pedersoli team let me down on this one. The two locks appeared odd to me, and I saw that the frizzens did not line up when opened. The right frizzen was straighter (not open as far) as the left. The right frizzen spring was too strong and did not allow the frizzen to open properly. On further examination, the pan of the left lock had been hogged out to make it line up with the flash hole in the barrel. The right pan was untouched, but the flash hole was too low in the pan for my tastes.

I held the gun for ten minutes and then called Dixie and asked for them to send me a return label. They readily agreed to the return and refund and I will have it back in their hands next week. Unfortunately, they did not have another in stock and I will have to wait until they restock to order another.

I really hope the next one is perfect, as it fit really well and I wanted to shoot it. But for $1500, it needs to be better than it was.

ADK Bigfoot

Attachments

• 2723293E-0FBF-42B0-B79F-96095F365A71.jpeg
    2723293E-0FBF-42B0-B79F-96095F365A71.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 37

ADK Bigfoot

I have been shooting my very newly acquired 20 ga pedersoli double, also purchased from Dixie. On mine the LEFT lock has a frizzen spring that is longer and stiffer than the right. And the open frizzens are not mirror images of each other. I didnt return mine, so far it is firing pretty good. But the frizzen on the left side would not always open right at first. I may have made a mistake by not returning the gun. I really like it. If I had returned it, I wonder if I would have received yours? The timing of our purchases makes me think that could have happened? Mine was also missing a butt plate, they shipped me the part right away. I also wondered if they swapped out the locks on our guns at some point before either were sold. Pretty sure they were the last two they had.???

Sorry you had a problem with your gun. I was very disappointed with mine. It fits so well and I really wanted to shoot it. But I just couldn’t keep it knowing that it needed work. If this was a used gun i would have played with it. Good luck with yours

Well your post isn’t making me feel all warm and fuzzy about the 20 ga I just ordered… I’m already paying a premium because I’m in Canada (closer to $2500CAD) and I won’t see the gun until late fall!

Well your post isn’t making me feel all warm and fuzzy about the 20 ga I just ordered… I’m already paying a premium because I’m in Canada (closer to $2500CAD) and I won’t see the gun until late fall!
Doesn't sound good. Hearing QA/QC issues with many European products from cars to Pharmaceuticals.

if you have to wait that long, hopefully means your getting “fresh one”. even with its problems, right now, the one I have is my favorite gun to shoot. I shot 40 shots at clay birds yesterday, with only a couple misfires. I even knocked down a true pair. ( still learning to shoot at clays)

In all fairness to Dixie, they called me today to discuss options: send just the lock back, and see if they can make it right; sent the whole gun back, and see if they can make it right; send the gun back, and wait for a replacement; send the gun back for a full refund and re-order when supply is replenished. What more could you ask for? I'll tell you what I asked for; when resupply happens, fully inspect the gun to be sent to me to be sure it is 100 percent before shipping. That is what we agreed to. I can wait. It has to be right.

ADK Bigfoot

Back