• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Conneticut Valley Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m VERY new to this exciting genre of firearms. This February I purchased my first muzzle loader rifle (T/C Hawken) and today on my 40th birthday one of the guys at work gave me a CVA .45 single shot pistol. It needs a new nipple. Any ideas what thread it is? My T/C came with two extras and they’re much bigger thread. Also, what would be a safe load in the pistol?? The guy that sold me the rifle gave me all the supplies to get me going so I have powder and caps. I’ll need some .45 balls.

wild I have over 20 center fire and rim fire rifles, 7 shotguns and yet these muzzleloaders sure make me smile 😊

Here is the newest member to the family
E01897F7-E5F2-40A7-B193-8B2DD9B2B041.jpeg

Happy Birthday and welcome to the addiction... I have a single shot pistol very similar to yours.

Patched .445 balls will work well in your pistol, but without a loading stand they can be pretty hard to load. You may want to try some .440 balls as well.

I'll show a pic of my stand, it's very useful for pistols and revolvers. You could make one yourself or buy one. A guy on this forum made mine for $30 shipped. It has an adjustable base to accommodate different sized guns. Works great with all of mine.

Have fun with your new guns! :thumb:
IMG_20210124_145737.jpg

Happy birthday a couple of days ago...
I have a pistol perzactly like that one. .440 balls work for me and 25-30 grains FFFG. :cool:

I have a CVA pistol just like yours and its my favorite pistol. I use ~25gr of 3f and a .440 round ball. Patch material is cut up old t-shirt, lube is crisco shortening or spit. I can hit a coke can at about 10 yards with it.

Happy birthday and welcome. I built that same gun from a kit when I started BP shooting almost 40 years ago. Despite my lack of building skills, it has been darn accurate. I use 25 grains of 3F, a 440 ball with a .015 lubed patch. I used to use Bore butter or spit on the patch but now use Hoppe's BP which performs much better.

Jeff

I also have the same pistol.
My load is a .440 ball, .010 cotton patch and 35 grains of 3f Swiss powder.
At 25 yards it's dead on.
that is a killer load. I also use it. my GOD, have they gone up in price in used condition, people used to PUKE ON THEM, CVA,UCH! well not any more!

Happy birthday a couple of days ago...
I have a pistol perzactly like that one. .440 balls work for me and 25-30 grains FFFG. :cool:
I also bare ball it with a piece of brown KRAFT paper shopping bag or a wad of hornets nest on top oh the ball to hold it in. ever tried it?

I have been shooting .440, MINNIES in my 45 CAL. SPANISH JUKAR, just push them down onto the powder charge. any one else do that. the mold is LEE MOLD. I tumble lube them in LEE ALOX.

Back