• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CONNECTICUT VALLEY ARMS (CVA)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a lot of thinking on that before I decided to fire it. It was neat seeing the white smoke it was loud but I felt no kick.

I was using 50 grains working up to 60 grains FFFg powder. The powder was 35 or more years old also. I bought 3 pounds ffg and 2 pounds FFFg Goex when I bought the rifle. Several years back I bought 1 pound of pyrodex rs.

Well now that I have fired my TC Hawkens I do not need to purchase another anytime soon need to work with this one and kill a deer with it, that is what it was bought for. Killing deer is no big deal I have killed more than 200 deer in the years gone by but never one with black powder next year one will bite the dirt using black powder. Retiring my high powdered rifles until I kill one with the Hawkens.

Stlnifr said:
It was neat seeing the white smoke,,
it was loud,,
but I felt no kick.
:rotf: , :thumbsup:
It's all down hill from here, :grin:

Now go blow up some good size balloons for a target, stick'm at 50-75feet and go get that Grand Daughter of yours so she can try it.
Just see how she acts, :wink:
Don't be afraid to tell her your just learning about these smokepole things and you want to learn with her helping.
Dude, it's a new toy,, go play with it.

I'm happy to hear you finally got around to shooting your rifle and had fun doing it. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you've read a lot of posts talking about hunting loads.

IMO, you should use something around 70 grains of 3Fg powder for hunting with your .45 but it's a good idea to try several different loads to find out which one is the most accurate.

That said, moving on to talking about your granddaughter, a muzzleloading rifle perhaps one of the best types of guns for teaching younger people about shooting.

Although you didn't think your rifle kicked much, recoil can feel a lot different to a kid and few if any really like it.

Knowing this, when it comes time for you to let your granddaughter shoot your TC, I suggest you lighten the powder load down to about 30 or 35 grains.

With this low powder load the gun will still shoot fine but the recoil will be just a soft shove.
It's enough to let her know she fired the gun but not enough to hurt her in any way.

Keep the range close. Maybe 20 or 25 yards and praise her for just hitting the paper target.
If she hits the black area, give her a good cheer and a big hug.

That's when she will see just how much fun it is to shoot your gun and that's when the good memories will begin.

After she gets use to shooting the light powder loads and she starts grouping the shots well you can move the target out for longer range practice.

If I'm right, by now she will be thoroughly hooked and you can start increasing the powder loads while explaining things like the increased kick and how to deal with it.

Have fun. :)

Your right, killing deer with a BP percussion gun is not much more of a challenge than taking them with a shotgun or a rifle. I have fed two families over a period of the last 38 years or so with venison. Fast forward to 2014 and I started chasing them with a flintlock. Taken a couple but have missed a few as well ( including a 150" 8 pointer at an easy 40 yard shot a couple of weeks ago)! Congrats on finally getting around to making smoke. Deer hunting with a traditional BP gun is waaayyyyy more enjoyable form of hunting!! Greg :)

Been cleaned nothing showing but a white patch. Oil with hoppes #9 followed by another Dry patch. Will check it in a few days to be sure no signs of rust showing.

Stlnifr said:
I got this off of CVA web page:
CVA was founded way back in 1971, specializing in traditional side-lock muzzleloading rifles and build-it-yourself rifle kits. From those early beginnings, CVA developed a reputation for providing guns and accessories that provide our customers with the best values available. Today our product line has expanded to include the most technically advanced modern in-line muzzleloaders on the market. And we are very proud that CVA has now been America’s #1 selling muzzleloader brand for over a decade.

This all happened only 47 years ago. How could my memory be unclear on this point? :wink:

If you have any Barricade that protects the barrel very well also. Sounds like you have it well cleaned.
DANNY

I recently aquired a 45 kentucky that I refinished super dark,disguised the stock joint with a sheet of brass nailed on and added a few tacks and nailed a piece of trade silver to the stock. I get alot of complements on it.A 45 cva was my first ml 40+ years ago and it feels like old times.

Yes your right and the CVA st.louis Hawkins had patch box Not sure on just Hawkins model but 1-66 twist st was 1-48 :doh:

Most CVA rifles are okay. Some of the very early ones were pretty low grade. They aren’t top of the line but many of use got our start with them and I still have several and they are accurate. At zero cost they are great. 😊

Back