• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CONNECTICUT VALLEY ARMS (CVA)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with an early (ca. 1970) CVA 'kentucky' flinter is what put me into the ml business. Mine was such a horrible hunka junka it was dangerous and unusable. After searching the market for an affordable rifle to sell I settled on the H&A line. The 'kentucky' style came only in a kit that was easy to assemble and the underhammer. Both, well built safe rifles that were good shooters. (the locks on flinters were kinda sorry and needed some work but otherwise OK)

I would recommend that you keep your eyes open for a CVA Mountain Rifle. Like you, I have a TC Hawken, amongst others, and really like the Mountain Rifle that I found at a pawn shop! It isn't in the same league as some of my long rifles but with the stock this one has I consider it a very pretty gun that shoots great!! It only cost a finger rather than an arm and a leg but shoots as well as most anything I own. Keep your eyes open for one and Happy Hunting. Greg :)

I have it narrowed down to two that I like one is starting to appeal to me a little more than the other. I just got to sleep on my decision a little longer. Do not want to jump at one and regret it later.

I have two in mind one with a single trigger and one with a double trigger. That statement may make my decision easier I was leaning in the direction of the one with the double trigger.

Rifleman1776 said:
My experience with an early (ca. 1970) CVA )

I don't mean to nitpick....but....

ww7QcCd.png

The CVA Mountain Rifles are nice. I have two.

One serious caveat:the BORE. Check it, check it, check it. Use a light and be picky. Nearly all of the MZ bores I see on old sidelock guns at gun shows are trashed. Most MZ owners let them get that way over time. A shredded patch makes good accuracy hard to achieve.

PD

Colorado Clyde said:
Rifleman1776 said:
My experience with an early (ca. 1970) CVA )

I don't mean to nitpick....but....

ww7QcCd.png

Interesting. I moved to southern Indiana early 1970 to start our business. Slept on an old sofa (which I later found to be rat infested :doh: ) in the house we bought until my wife sold the place up nawth and could join me. Being near Friendship and bored I wrote off for a CVA catalog so I could get started in the ml game. That first catalog was a work of art. Wish I still had it. Enneyhow, I also had a Dixie Gun Works catalog and ordered a C&B Remington revolver kit. Putting that together occupied some of my evenings. I then ordered my 'kentucky' flint rifle from CVA. And the story goes on from there. But, I'm pretty danged certeen that all happened in the year 1970. :idunno: Mebbe they were in business in 1970 but didn't get "established" until a year later. :wink: :rotf:

I got this off of CVA web page:
CVA was founded way back in 1971, specializing in traditional side-lock muzzleloading rifles and build-it-yourself rifle kits. From those early beginnings, CVA developed a reputation for providing guns and accessories that provide our customers with the best values available. Today our product line has expanded to include the most technically advanced modern in-line muzzleloaders on the market. And we are very proud that CVA has now been America’s #1 selling muzzleloader brand for over a decade.

I own a lot of CVA thruout the years and still do. They shoot they are fine shooter well made I think. You don't have to pay thousands for a muzzleloader to hunt or shoot with. Have fun and good hunting

I had narrowed it down two rifles of different calibers I preferred 45 because that is what my TC Hawkens is. That way I would only need one diameter round ball.

Nearly all of the MZ bores I see on old sidelock guns at gun shows are trashed.

This^^^^ i carry a fishing bobber light and another light that will fit .50 caliber and larger bores.

Over 90 percent of the bores i've inspected were trashed. Be especially careful in buying guns off the web. If the ad does not state bore condition be assured it is rusty. Twice i asked sellers about bore condition and twice they lied. They got the rifles back ASAP.

I have a 1971 Issue I of the cva catalog. Everything in it was imported and imported by others already. Much of, but not all of it made in the Jukar factory. Some at Santa Barbara. The first year catalog is pretty extensive for a first year. They sold lots of products. It was more like a Dixie catalog, selling things from some US companies as well. They offerred the locks for sale and there were items I had never seen in any other CVA catalogs, like some miquelet style flinters. A rather hideous fake ivory (micarta) stocked pistol with the butt shaped like the head of a Conquistador. (I actually have one of the percussion micarta models and one of the miquelet guns.) A few of their guns were much better quality than the standard Spanish low quality stuff they were first known for. Eventually, they even had some high end made dueling pistols from Hege-Siber. Those dueling pistols were considered by many to be better than the Pedersoli LePage.

After much thought I have decided to hold off on purchasing another muzzleloader. I appreciate all the responses.

Back