• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Connecticut Black Powder Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I live in central CT and have property in the northwest corner of the state. Hunt a lot with flintlocks and thinking about having some informal shoots on the land in the future
Please do keep us posted on this idea.

I bounce between the Bristol/Plainville area and Colebrook/Riverton depending on work schedule. I do travel out to the Baltic/Norwich area quite a bit in the summer to shoot unmentionables.

it seams that in one way or another we are neighbors?
Agreed. Both CT. and RI. are small. No one, and no place, here is really all that far. Inconvenient sometimes maybe, sometimes we lack direct routes, but not far. I used to shoot at Bradford gun club once a month but their club politics got rid of the events I was attending and tried to make others a members only situation.

I agree that the clubs that only allow the members to shoot loose a lot of revenue, and tend to be a CLICK even among there members. they should remember that the ANTI'S don't discrimante just only the club's that are members only. we are all supposed to be a FRANITY! JMHO.

I currently shoot at Guilford gun club (CT) a lot but I will have to check on their "guest rules". I know I could bring a few but I don't know how many. Has a nice 200 yard range with gongs and the members are all accepting for the most part.

All CT BP Shooters. The Niantic Sportsmens Club is holding it's first shoot of the season on Sunday 9/27 starting at 10:00 AM (registration from 9-10) This is going to be a Line shoot with approximately 12 targets at various ranges and of multiple types (Gongs, biodegradable s) All are welcome, but due to COVID concerns there will be no hot lunch and social distancing practices should be maintained. Masks are encouraged. Period dress is optional but encouraged. Entry fee is $10.00.

I am a member of the Niantic Club, and was one of the Black Powder shoot founders. Over the past 20 years we have held monthly shoots from Oct-April either line shoots or trail walks. We have about 20-25 members that shoot, and sometimes have a few guests. All are welcome to our shoots. There is usually a $10.00 entry fee which includes a fireside side lunch. Prizes are not generally awarded, we are there just to shoot and have fun with fellow black powder shooters. We allow all types of muzzle loaders, but we have a powder charge maximum of no more than 80 grains, and lead projectiles only. I don't know how Covid is going to affect this years shoots, so you will have to watch our web site for info. Hope to see you there.
I try to watch the website. I do loose track of it often though.
Really interested in a trail walk. Please let us know when one comes up.

Thanks

I try to watch the website. I do loose track of it often though.
Really interested in a trail walk. Please let us know when one comes up.

Thanks
Our next shoot is scheduled for Oct 11, but it is going to be another line shoot. We have to get a work party organized to help clear the trails of brush and downed trees from Isaias. We also don't like to do trail walks until most of the leaves have fallen, that way we have better shooting lanes for targets.

I saw this thread late, and it prompted me to check the Westfield Sportmen's Club calendar.
They're having a black powder shoot on Oct. 18th. from 9 - 1.
It's located in Westfield, MA near Springfield.
I've never been to one of their shoots.
A long time ago I was told that they're over the log shoots, but I don't know if they still have the same format or not.
Their website shows a dedicated muzzle loader range. --->>> https://westfieldsportsmensclub.com

I've got two Flintlock kits on order. I'll have to get in on this next year. Located in Uncasville.
do you remember the old gun shop in UNCASVILLE that set up on the hill called, FORT SHANTOCK ? it is long gone now. but it was a STELLER gun shop. I used to drive from RI. each week end with out fail. only about 25 miles, witch was nothing.

do you remember the old gun shop in UNCASVILLE that set up on the hill called, FORT SHANTOCK ? it is long gone now. but it was a STELLER gun shop. I used to drive from RI. each week end with out fail. only about 25 miles, witch was nothing.

No. That was probably before I moved here. I moved here in 2005ish.

Covurt, sorry, I am going back 45,ish.years ago. that is what happens when you get NORTH of 75, yrs old. time becomes relative. thanks for the come back.

I remember that shop. It was run by a fella named Don Craig. I bought a few unmentionable handguns from him at very reasonable prices at the time. He moved to Florida and the shop closed up.

Grimord, yes, DON, was a great guy. he was a great 45, CAL shooter that had many trophies and shot targets hung up in the shop. if you became a regular he would discount the price on the guns. it kept you comming back. so you might be a grey beard too? if not I am sorry I asked. I never knew what happened to DON, so thanks for letting me know. are you in the NORWICH AREA?

Back