• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coning Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard there could be an advantage to coning a barrel. I'm a bit nervous on trying it until I have heard from those that have. Do you experience less accuracy after coning? What tool did you buy?

I’ve had accuracy issues with modern firearms with poor crowning that after fixed Made the gun shoot better, if your Coning a muzzleloading for easy of loading that’s something different than crowning a muzzleloader - they should be crowned already. Coning shouldn’t effect accuracy

There are many old posts regarding coning - likely hours of reading. Coning makes loading much easier & Joe Woods makes & sells a great tool (with detailed instructions) for the job.

I have heard there could be an advantage to coning a barrel. I'm a bit nervous on trying it until I have heard from those that have. Do you experience less accuracy after coning? What tool did you buy?
The big advantage is once the barrel is coned, you can now ditch your short starter. I bought a coning tool from Joe Wood. Follow the directions, work slowly, and you'll have a nicely coned barrel.

I'm sure there are others who have provided tips/tutorials but if you search through Herb's posts on here and on American Longrifle forum, you'll find hisethos of coning. It's very simple and uses easily obtained materials. I haven't done it and am just starting my first build but i do know that Herb knows what he's doing!

I have never used a coning tool, just a boring bar in the lathe. Have not seen any decrease in accuracy with hunting guns firing patched balls. It does make them a lot easier to load as well as allowing a slightly tighter ball/patch combination. I wouldn't cone the muzzle on a rifle I planned on firing bullets with, only balls.

Thread needed Photos

Attachments

• 6DB3FED8-5A15-4DA2-A857-87EA8C93C258.jpeg
    6DB3FED8-5A15-4DA2-A857-87EA8C93C258.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 42062401-29B4-47ED-AD95-73735A72A3B4.jpeg
    42062401-29B4-47ED-AD95-73735A72A3B4.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 44
Thread needed Photos ...
That's really not a 'cone' ... that's ... to me, just a deep 'crown'. And somewhat to the topic at hand, I've seen more evidence to support that original longrifles were indeed coned, than were not. Both Wallace Gusler and Peter Alexander have displayed many an original rifle with coned muzzles.

A coned section extends a good 2X the caliber or so down inside the bore. And per the experts from the CLA over on the Contemporary Longrifles site, this now effectively moves the crown to be a good 1" to 1-1/2" down the barrel.

This is what a coned barrel looks like, from what it an admittedly UGLY photo of the 1st crown I did many, many years ago, but accuracy was not lost. Can you tell I cut patches at the muzzle there?

Coned.jpg

But a coned barrel also allows one to do extensive 'decorating' to the muzzle too, like this to follow, and that doesn't degrade accuracy either. IMHO if someone had a problem coning a barrel ... they did it wrong or had a bad tool or poor technique. I personally would only use a caliber-specific tool and not the multi-caliber one you just slap a cleaning jag onto ... due to eccentric run-out potential of the jag to tool interface.

Decorated.jpg

Perhaps your correct- yet I don’t understand the 1st image you provided. Looks a lot like a shot out barrel with zero rifling. Regardless if mine isn’t A Coned barrel- certainly helps loading PRB

David, I'm Joe Wood, maker of the tool, and you can find a lot of information about it by clicking on this link: MUZZLE CONING TOOL

You can also click on my "F" on the left side of this post and start a private conversation with me. I'd welcome hearing from you.

And THANKS to all of you who have bought the tool and found how much it helps loading!

I just ordered my coning tool from Joe Wood. He is a very nice gentleman to talk to. My next step will be to to be sure and thank him for not having to pound away with a short starter in my .62. If you leave a ring on your ball with a starter, you know you are deforming the ball. Who knows, my accuracy may even increase a bit.

Last edited:
I have heard there could be an advantage to coning a barrel. I'm a bit nervous on trying it until I have heard from those that have.

Don't be nervous, as here's a group I shot last weekend offhand @ 30-yards to win the smallest group contest. In the highest score contest all my shots were in the X-ring in the bullseye. Never missed all day, also went 15 for 15 on the woodswalk with novelty targets out to 80-yards, having used the Joe Wood tool on my 50-cal left-handed Issac Haines flint longrifle.

Yes ... coning doesn't hurt accuracy ...

Group, 5-shots, 30-yards, offhand.jpg

Don't be nervous, as here's a group I shot last weekend offhand @ 30-yards to win the smallest group contest. In the highest score contest all my shots were in the X-ring in the bullseye. Never missed all day, also went 15 for 15 on the woodswalk with novelty targets out to 80-yards, having used the Joe Wood tool on my 50-cal left-handed Issac Haines flint longrifle.

Yes ... coning doesn't hurt accuracy ...

View attachment 131486
I have a Hoppy Hopkins barrel that can't be replaced. It has been said, Hoppy made the strongest, and most accurate barrels, ever. I coned it, and went shooting. No degradation in accuracy! No more short starter!

David, I'm Joe Wood, maker of the tool, and you can find a lot of information about it by clicking on this link: MUZZLE CONING TOOL

You can also click on my "F" on the left side of this post and start a private conversation with me. I'd welcome hearing from you.

And THANKS to all of you who have bought the tool and found how much it helps loading!
Hello Joe. I’m trying to get ahold of you to order a tool. I can’t figure on how to private message you. Can you send me a message.Thanks

Back