• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coning a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I am interested in eventually getting a TVM early Virginia Rifle. However, I contacted TVM and they said they could not/don't offer barrel coning as an option. My current rifle is coned and I absolutely LOVE the feature. How hard is it to find someone trustworthy to do this if I indeed get the rifle? I have a friend that's a very, very accomplished handyman/metal worker. Would it be likely that someone like that could do it? Thanks- Larry

You can buy a coning tool from a member here on the site. He’s out of Texas. Wood, I think. Can’t remember his forum handle. They’re about $50. That’s the best route.

It's Joe Woods & he makes & sells caliber specific coning tools with detailed instructions on how to use them. I have several & have no complaints about the tools or the results. Joe is a fine guy to do business with.

I have coned 2-.50 cal guns so far with one of the Joe Woods tools. One ended up with a longer cone than the other but both work just fine.

Really don't miss short starting those guns. Didn't need much time and only trouble I had was finding the tape. The paper seems to work better if it isn't the cheap brittle stuff where the paper wants to crack. I ended up using some Norton brand and sprayed on the adhesive. A bit messy but since messy is my middle name, I don't mind. Took a little rubbing with denatured alcohol between sheet changes is all. I ordered another one for my Numrich ".45" with a. 433" bore (land to land).

Tool is nicely made and Joe is a good guy to work with.

So, nuff said! Happy camper here.

What caliber are you interested in? I have a .54 Joe Woods tool which I will add to the classified section eventually. Used it on two guns and worked like a champ.

It is against the forum rules to offer to sell or buy an item in forum areas outside of the classified ad's.

People wanting price information or who want to buy something outside the classified section should make a private message to the person.
This is called a "Conversation" on the current forum software. To make a conversation, click on the persons name, select Start a Conversation, give it a title, write whatever you want to say and then poke the orange "Start a conversation" button at the bottom of the screen.

It is against the forum rules to offer to sell or buy an item in forum areas outside of the classified ad's.

People wanting price information or who want to buy something outside the classified section should make a private message to the person.
This is called a "Conversation" on the current forum software. To make a conversation, click on the persons name, select Start a Conversation, give it a title, write whatever you want to say and then poke the orange "Start a conversation" button at the bottom of the screen.
Zonie, I started a paypal monthly donation but don't see anything here about it. Can you check and make sure that it's coming to this site? Thanks!

No. I am but a lowly moderator and what you ask is something that only an administrator can look into.

Click on this link and start a conversation with Angie, our forum administrator. She can answer your question and solve your problem.
Don't forget to give your private message a title and after you've written your comments be sure to poke the Start a conversation" button at the bottom of the screen.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/conversations/add?to=Angie

another plug for Joe Woods … great tools at a more-than-fair price.

some claim that coning ruins accuracy, but I haven't seen any difference … mind you, i'm not that good a shot, but still, when I load up my .40, no soda can is safe, and that black circle in the paper … well, it had better have its life insurance premiums paid up!

I think that coning makes it easier to load, which make it even more fun to shoot, which makes it more likely that you will shoot it more often, which will inevitably improve proficiency.

I found the perfect two sided tape at Ace Hardware. Light duty that has tremendous adhesive strength. Ditto on Joe Woods being great to work with. My new Pennsylvania rifle from Pedersoli had a muzzle that was slightly undersized so the coning tool wouldn't even fit. I emailed Joe and he responded immediately with a suggestion on how to dress down the brass tool so it could get started into the bore - did that and it worked like a charm. Now, very easy to start a ball in this beautiful rifle. Much more pleasant to shoot now. Highly recommend.

Back