• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals work in a 1:66” twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatelvis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there any conical that will stabilize in my Lyman 54cal GPR? It shoots PRBs great, but looking to “play” with other projectiles. Thanks!

Well the first question is how deep is the rifling?
The "rule-o'-thumb" is, Slower than 1:48 rifling means a conical won't stabilize
But then you find that the original and the repros of the full length Enfield rifled musket is a 1:78 and was used as a sniper rifle in the ACW, and is used as a target rifle today, using conical minie bullets. :confused:
So I've been told that the depth of the rifling is the key to why the Enfield rifles are such an exception to the rule...
You might try a Lee "minieball" in .54 to see if they will grab and engage the rifling. https://leeprecision.com/mold-540-415-m.html

LD

Well the first question is how deep is the rifling?
The "rule-o'-thumb" is, Slower than 1:48 rifling means a conical won't stabilize
But then you find that the original and the repros of the full length Enfield rifled musket is a 1:78 and was used as a sniper rifle in the ACW, and is used as a target rifle today, using conical minie bullets. :confused:
So I've been told that the depth of the rifling is the key to why the Enfield rifles are such an exception to the rule...
You might try a Lee "minieball" in .54 to see if they will grab and engage the rifling. https://leeprecision.com/mold-540-415-m.html

LD
And what is the optimal depth ? How deep is the rifling in the GPR?

I have a Green Mountain .54 cal 1-66 twist on my Renegade and it will not shoot Hornady Great Plains conicals. It is a tack driver with patched round balls. I tried several different combinations with no luck. I should say the barrel is a "Round Ball Special" , The round balls I use are made by Buffalo Bullet Company.

I have a Lyman GPR. I think the kit was shipped to the guy I bought it off of around 2012

I have shot Hornady Great Plains and at 50 yards, they were "ok" but not nearly as accurate as PRB. They are expensive so working up a load and experimenting did not really happen. I just used 90grains of FFG. Accuracy was fine for hunting <50 yards. I never took a shot with them while hunting though.

I recently got a 300grain Lee REAL mold. With a 90-100gr load and an over powder wonder lube wad, it shoots same POI as my PRB at 50 yards and the groups are just as tight. Swab and cool barrel between shots to emulate a clean barrel for hunting. I have not shot the Lee REALs at 100 yards yet. I was told by someone that I needed to use the lubed wad and the stout load to get any accuracy out of the Lee REAL with my rifle. I had started at 75gr and when I got to 90, it was a world of difference so he was spot on for me.

Played around with this years past. Used 2 rifles, both 50's one a TC Hawken and the other a Tryon.
The hawken with the faster twist "1 in 48" seem to do fine with the conicals out to about 75 yards.
The Tryon with the slower rate of twist "1 in 66" and deeper rifling just didn't care for them.
But round balls in the Tryon would always bring home the meat.
"Just my 2 cents worth"

I sent a handful of the smaller 250 grn Lee REALs to a fellow with a slow twist as he was going elk hunting and wanted more mass than a .490” ball. He didn’t do a lot of testing but found them dismal. I ensured that he understood the need for felt wads.

I’m guessing it might take a bit more powder than a ball? In essence the reverse of shooting a ball in a fast twist and typically needing a much smaller charge?

a4hjVsl.jpg

Try the Lyman .54 minie that was made with the extra thick skirt for heavy charges.

Back