• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conicals for .32 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
accurate molds makes a copy of the TC maxiball.it shoots pretty good

george

TOFTW is selling a 6 hole mould for the .32, They aslo have some pre made I think it was 20-25 for 9 bucks. Can't remember for sure I bought some earlier this spring. Haven't fired any yet all the places I usually go to practice got shut down due to the fires.

I'm curious what a .32 cal conical would be used for.
What kind of a load can be put behind a conical (or RB for that matter) and what kind of velocity can one expect?

I was hoping for a little heavier slug for coyotes but they really dont wiegh that much more than my rb's. not sure about velocity.

I have shot a coyote with a cheap slug from a .410 at 50ish yards and it droped him in his tracks. Insta kill. I don't think that it takes much to drop one if you hit them in the life support system.

I was told that 75 yds and out to my self impossed with this rifle 100 yds the 45 gr was a little to light for coyote so was hoping for at least 55-60 gr but don't think they are even close, think it said when i got 47 or 48 gr.

.32 Round Ball kills coyotes to 100 yards no problem. You can easily get them moving at 2000 fps, it is still doing 900 fps at 100 yards. Hit him in the boiler room and you have one dead dog. Bigger than coyotes, there have been thousands of deer killed over the years with .32s but shot placement is key, as it is with even the bigger calibers. (Given a choice I would prefer at least a .45 for deer and most places .40 is the minimum caliber for big game. I don't know of anywhere that sets a min for coyote.)

they(maxiball) weigh about 105g @1600 fps has 600 FPE at the muzzle and shoot well to 100 yards and hold more energy than a little 45g ball.The RB only has about 85 FPE at 100 yards and it a far from humane coyote bullet.The conical probably has over 200 FPE at 100 yards.In the wind a 32 RB is competly useless much past 50 yards where the conical will hold on to about 100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyman makes pistol and rifle bullet molds in .32 caliber. The problem is that if you go much heavier than 115 grains, you have trouble stabilizing the bullets out of slow twist barrels. Keep the bullet length at 1.5 times the diameter of the bore for slow twist barrels. You will probably get better accuracy with any bullet is you use a good, thick, fiber, or wool felt, OP wad behind the base of the bullet. Make sure the wad is groove diameter or slightly larger to give you a good seal. Gas cutting can be a real problem when shooting lead bullets out of slow twist, deep grooved, RB barrels.

Use .32-20 BP cartridge loading data to give you an idea what you will get shooting bullets in your .32. If you want to use a .32 on any game larger than squirrels and rabbits, I would recommend restricting y9our shots to 50 yds using open sights. With a scope, you can extend that range to 75-80 yds. Accurate head shots are required for DRT kills. Otherwise, brush up on your tracking skills.

Rev_William said:
I was told that 75 yds and out to my self impossed with this rifle 100 yds the 45 gr was a little to light for coyote so was hoping for at least 55-60 gr but don't think they are even close, think it said when i got 47 or 48 gr.

The conical is not going to help much. Diameter is the key. If you want more from a ML or other BP firearm you have to increase the diameter. On small animals like Coyotes this is especially true.
Shot placement will be more important than bullet type.
The Maxi especially, based on reports of the larger versions, may actually be less effective than the RB so far as wound channels, the other will likely be equal unless doing Texas heart shots.
Like everything else some critters can take heavy hits and run off some distance. Others will not.
When people talk about dropping a Coyote in his tracks with a 410 slug I would need to see the critter to judge bullet track. The BC of the typical shotgun slug is very close to a RB of similar diameter. For example tne ounce 12 gauge slug is actually significantly lighter than the RB of that diameter.

Dan

Latest posts

Back