• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical bullets best suited for Thompson Center shallow grooves 1/48" barrels.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciate the compliments folks...but I was shooting from a bench and just 50yds. I'm sure most any of you folks are capable of that and better 🍻

I've always shot patch and ball out of my TC renegade with a shallow groove 1 and 48 barrel with decent results. But that was target shooting.

I'm interested in hunting this year's muzzleloader season and I'm wondering what conical bullets are best suited in that gun or in shallow groove barrels in general.
All of my 1:48 rifles shoot maxi balls very well and some shoot the heavy maxi hunters as well or better. Both in .50 and .54. I do run a rod down the barrel every so often in the field and have never found one not seated.

Do we know even what caliber OP is using?

Hornady GPH bullets were designed for TC hawkins/renegades 1-48" barrels. They shoot good, but large cal are NLA. Wonderous wads help.

My bullet shooters I use GM 1-28" twist barrels so I won't go futher, except my 58. The 58 is a Lyman 1-48" that shoots the 525gr GPH great, but sort of hurts my shoulder, wonder wad 90gr FFg goex. That shoots through a deer and small trees behind it after the deer is done.

A roundball shooter forever, I made some weak attempts at shooting conicals in the past, I'm fixing to experiment with conicals. I'll be using a .50 Renegade Hunter, no QLA, in near new condition with black powder and a mix of bullets. I have a stash of Buffalo Ball-ets, T/C Maxi-Balls, T/C Maxi-Hunters and Hornady PA Conicals to try. I also bought some over the powder wads, based on input from this site these might not be the best choice of wads, felt lubed .125, but I'll try them. I solicited input in another post a few weeks ago, got what I believe is good input too thank you.

I had been waiting on the wads and PA Conicals but these arrived just in time for significant snow, freezing rain storm and now heavy winds and rain. As soon as things settle down I'll head to the club and then post my results.

https://www.battlehawkarmory.com/product/hornady-6620-great-plains-50-black-powder-hb-hp-385-gr-20
Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 50 cal in 385 grains. Stick a lubed felt wad of 54 cal underneath.

This one was shot into a wet sand/silt berm at 25 yards.

gphphb2.jpggphphb1.jpg

Last edited:
A roundball shooter forever, I made some weak attempts at shooting conicals in the past, I'm fixing to experiment with conicals. I'll be using a .50 Renegade Hunter, no QLA, in near new condition with black powder and a mix of bullets. I have a stash of Buffalo Ball-ets, T/C Maxi-Balls, T/C Maxi-Hunters and Hornady PA Conicals to try. I also bought some over the powder wads, based on input from this site these might not be the best choice of wads, felt lubed .125, but I'll try them. I solicited input in another post a few weeks ago, got what I believe is good input too thank you.

I had been waiting on the wads and PA Conicals but these arrived just in time for significant snow, freezing rain storm and now heavy winds and rain. As soon as things settle down I'll head to the club and then post my results.
I see this thread has been revived. I'll add my own range test series.
I did a similar series of tests with my 50 cal. 1:48 T/C barreled "Hawken" several years ago. I spent a lot of time at the range testing a variety of bullets, each with a series of powder charges. Got to do a lot of shooting, so there's that big plus..!
I tested:
T/C Maxi-Hunter 275 gn and 350 gn
T/C Maxi-Ball 270 gn
Hornady Great Plains 385gn HP-HB
Buffalo 385 gn HP-HB
Hornady PA Conical 240 gn
All were tested with Goex powder charges ranging from 80 to 100 gns. No overpowder wads were tested.
In my tests the CLEAR winner was the Hornady 385 "Great Plains" bullet and 90 gns of 3f Goex.
One ragged hole from 50 yds off a rest.
Hunting from a ladder stand, Checked the bullet for movement after getting "settled in" and found no movement had occurred.
Performance on Georgia hogs has been absolutely perfect. Classic "mushroom" with 95+ % retained weight and ZERO tracking required...DRT.
ENJOY your testing regimen..More shooting..how great is that..!!

I did locate my Hornady Great Plains bullets, 410 grain HBST Hornady #6625. I did a quick internet search, not sure but these may have been discontinued.
I remember getting my hands on some Hornady Great Plains back years ago that were over 400gr. I want to say they were 425gr, but you're finding the 410gr in your stash makes me think im not remembering correctly. And yes, as far as I've been able to search up in more recent months, the heavies were discontinued. I've only been able to find the 385gr. Not that they are "light" by any stretch 🤣

I did locate my Hornady Great Plains bullets, 410 grain HBST Hornady #6625. I did a quick internet search, not sure but these may have been discontinued.

The bullet on the left is a 410 gr Hornady GP. I got some insider info about them being discontinued back In 2006 or 2007, I can't remember now.
I hoarded over 30 boxes. After getting them I started working on a replacement. In 2007-2008 I developed the paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet. In 2009 the first big game animal was killed with a paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet.
This buck was shot at 117 yards with an instant DRT.

Attachments

• 20221223_090104.jpg
    20221223_090104.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221223_090052.jpg
    20221223_090052.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221223_090033.jpg
    20221223_090033.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009 buck 08-A.jpg
    2009 buck 08-A.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200901_194632.jpg
    20200901_194632.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 0
Nice hefty buck! Going to try to use the 485 gr No Excuse in my 21" Carbine 1:38 54cal T/C that B. Hoyt is cutting and boring for me and see where that takes me.

I have been using the CVA 375 gr in the 54 cal 1:38 26" mountain stalker and it shoots lights out but just average in the 1:48 24"

Last edited:
The bullet on the left is a 410 gr Hornady GP. I got some insider info about them being discontinued back In 2006 or 2007, I can't remember now.
I hoarded over 30 boxes. After getting them I started working on a replacement. In 2007-2008 I developed the paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet. In 2009 the first big game animal was killed with a paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet.
This buck was shot at 117 yards with an instant DRT.

I just ordered a box of Hornady .50 Great Plains 385 grain. No sense in wasting caps and powder on a 410 grain bullet that was discontinued years ago. One thing about roundballs they don't get discontinued often, I'm sure someone will point out where they have been. I'll try to sell them in the back room of my club, that or melt them down to make very usable roundballs.

VERY nice buck mule deer, way to go!

I've never read of anyone having good accuracy with the Lee improved design minies.
Anybody worked up loads with them in .50 or .54?

I've never read of anyone having good accuracy with the Lee improved design minies.
I did with a 45. I paper patched them and sized to fit. That one shot very well.
I never tried the 50 but had plans to paper patch the .533? I think it was. A guy bought the gun and the mould before I tested it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221228_211814_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20221228_211814_Gmail.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 0
Nice. I'm looking forwards to trying the fifty in my scary black rifle, a tradition Deerhunter with a scout scope set up.

They shoot fine in my Green Mountain .54 Match barrel. 70 grains 2F 1 ragged hole at 100 yards. I size them to .539 they slide right down with a touch on the ramrod.

Latest posts

Back