• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Confusion from vendor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got my new Bess. As I understand, with historical loading procedure, powder was emptied from the cartridge into the barrel, and the ball, still in the paper, was then rammed down the barrel and snugly fit on the powder charge, with the paper underneath creating a seal between the powder and ball.

However, the manufacturer of my Bess just told me to load ball directly on powder, and use the paper as wadding on the very top???

"Open paper cartridge and pour powder down barrel, then drop ball down barrel, making sure it is sitting snugly on top of the powder charge. Then ram the paper cartridge down the barrel and tightly pack it on top of the ball as wadding."

Do I listen to this? Or should I just follow correct paper cartridge procedure.

depends on who's correct in yer mind I suppose. Why not try BOTH and see if one does better on target than the other?

Ok glad to hear it is more a matter of preference. I was worried it was a safety issue or something haha. In that case I'll just go with the tried and true method I knew about previously. Thanks!

I have used several methods to load a paper wrapped cartridge with ball. I can't really tell the difference in accuracy if I have the paper cartridge used as a wad between the powder and ball, if I use the paper as an over ball wad or if I start the paper wrapped ball in the muzzle and tear the paper off the top. Its much easier to load by pouring the powder, then inserting the paper wrapping ahead of the ball. Our ball are undersized, but even then I find I need to spit on the paper wrapped ball to keep the fouling moist or the ball can get stuck in the fouling. Yes the fouling can cause a 0.700 ball to get stuck in a 0.770 bore.

This video has been posted several times. It has the 1812 manual of arms for loading the cartridge by priming from the cartridge first. Most ranges and Woods Walk competitions won't allow us to do that.

Most likely a liability "disclaimer". The Mfg may think that the average neophyte needs to do this to keep his ball down on top of the powder. Properly made paper carts with the right size ball you would not need to do that. My papers have a string tied between the ball and powder. Just tear off the bottom, pour it in and ram the hole mess home.

Military cartridges were made with a very undersized ball. The paper formed a ‘patch’ around the ball and when rammed and nested the ball. They shot pretty quick.
Wadding the crumpled paper on top gives a block to hold the ball down and makes it harder to come loose if you carry the gun akimbo for a while before shooting.
We tend to shoot bigger ball then was used in the military.

Back