• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Confused

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bore Butter. Used it for years, both as lube and protectant. No issues.
Folk talk about it building up with the same dread as a T7 crud ring.
I once got a .45 T/C Hawken that was heavily swabbed with b.b some years before. When I patched it out, it was BROWN. I thought it was toast and expected the bore to be a chimney.
Nope. Nice and shiny! The b.b. had oxidized. You MUST make sure the bore is clean and dry before using it as a preservative, or it will trap moisture and give the predictable result.
Buildup. That's puzzling to me. Some folk use beeswax in their lube. Seems to me if anything will build up its beeswax. Wipe some on a piece of steel and try to wipe it off. B.b comes off much easier. I know the beeswax isn't used straight. Usually mixed with tallow and/ or some other dark alchemy.
So. Why is bore butter bad, but beeswax based lubes ok?
Btw. I don't by the " 1000 shots without cleaning " either.

I've used TCs Bore Butter as directed for a long time. When used as directed and storing the rifle properly, I've never had a problem. I could see where using too much could be problematic, but I would assume the same would be true for other types of bore lube/preservatives as well?

Never tested the 1000 shot claim though. 😂

I've used it for close to 50 years & never had a problem with it. But I don't use it for storage after cleaning. I use a light coat of good gun oil for that & store muzzle-down.

Bore Butter isn't "bad" it depends on who you ask. Some like it and get great results using it. But I'm not one of them. I tried it for a year or two and threw the rest of it away. I think it's garbage but that's just me. It makes good chapstick and lousy everything else.

Btw. I don't by the " 1000 shots without cleaning " either.
While I don't subscribe to 1k shots without cleaning or wiping, I have personally run a minie ball rifle over 60 shots straight without wiping or cleaning and no loss of accuracy. Get the minie system right and it's a wonderful thing.

Back