Quantcast

Confederate militia....

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

nightwolf1974

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Was wondering if it would be period correct for a Confederate militia-man to be armed with a Colt 1860 Army with a fluted cylinder? I heard some place that some real 1860s with fluted cylinders "somehow" made it down to Texas (to the Texas Rangers) just after Texas succeeded from the Union. We were debating it today in a chat we have.....

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I heard that too and I wonder. Back about 30/plus years ago there was a reenactment group of Terry's Texas Rangers around Beaumont, Texas. Their commander was Jim Jones. Maybe some of them are still around who could tell you about the fluted 1860 seems like somebody with them had a repro, just can't recall. Good Luck!

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The Colt 1860 production started in 1860 with serial numbers ranging from 1 thru 200,500. The Fluted cylinder model serial number ranged from 3 to 8,000 indicating they were among the first Colt Army's made.

Colt sold a lot of his pistols to civilians and many of them were sold to the Southern States before the CW began in 1861. Actually, he was still selling his guns to people in the South after the war first started but the Federal Government stepped in and put a stop to it.
All of this says to me that it's very possible that some of these fluted cylinder revolvers were sold to civilians in the South, including Texas.

(Information on serial numbers from Flayderman's Guide.)

nightwolf1974

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Zonie, you're awesome! You remind me of a late friend who was extremely knowledgeable with CB & Ham Radios. Thank You for your insights.

Justin.44

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Was wondering if it would be period correct for a Confederate militia-man to be armed with a Colt 1860 Army with a fluted cylinder? I heard some place that some real 1860s with fluted cylinders "somehow" made it down to Texas (to the Texas Rangers) just after Texas succeeded from the Union. We were debating it today in a chat we have.....
I just happened to watch a duelist1954 video today about the McCullough Colt and he talks about that very thing an explains it some. Here's the link-

He talks about that at about the 1 minute mark.

B P Arn

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
They succeeded in seceding??? 🤪😖😩😱 🤣 Well, at least for a while!

Latest posts