Quantcast

Confederate cavalry gear

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

JamesT

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a reenactor but I really enjoy and appreciate having historically accurate gear. One of my ancestors was in the 21st VA Cavalry in 63 and on so I am looking for correct gear for that area of SW VA. I have a Cook and Bros. musketsoon and a .36 Colt Navy. I would like to gather a belt and cartridge box, buckle, cap pouch, holster and anything related to the the rifle and pistol. Can you folks recommend quality gear that is absolutely period correct?

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Union gear would be completely authentic. Captured, battlefield pickup or issued from prewar stores in state armories. You can find a lot of examples of original equipment online without much work. I suggest a little research, your area is Virginia and the year is 63, equipage changed with the year and area. A lot of the better sutlers have good descriptions of their wares too. Beware of the overuse of "CSA" on equipment. BTW a lot of Cavalry wore brogans and few had the boots Hollywood has them all wearing. Union dress code called for the trousers to be worn outside the boot. Carriers for spare cylinders are not authentic.

https://www.jarnaginco.com/confedcatframe.html
https://www.3rdusreenactors.com/home/reenacting/sutlers/
https://regtqm.com/home/
https://fcsutler.com/

Reactions: A34

JamesT

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Union gear would be completely authentic. Captured, battlefield pickup or issued from prewar stores in state armories. You can find a lot of examples of original equipment online without much work. I suggest a little research, your area is Virginia and the year is 63, equipage changed with the year and area. A lot of the better sutlers have good descriptions of their wares too. Beware of the overuse of "CSA" on equipment. BTW a lot of Cavalry wore brogans and few had the boots Hollywood has them all wearing. Union dress code called for the trousers to be worn outside the boot. Carriers for spare cylinders are not authentic.

https://www.jarnaginco.com/confedcatframe.html
https://www.3rdusreenactors.com/home/reenacting/sutlers/
https://regtqm.com/home/
Thanks for the links. Thats what I'm looking for! Some really nice leather. What type of cartridge box would have been used? A carbine box with ammunition for the rifle and pistol together or two seperate boxes?

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Both North and South had pistol cartridge boxes but I'm not sure of how much use they saw. Reloading on horseback during a skirmish didn't happen often if at all. I do know pistol ammo was carried in the saddlebags. Cavalry did fight dismounted to support infantry but that would have been with their carbines and it's unlikely they ever let the enemy get close enough to use their revolvers. With horses nearby and no bayonets it would have been prudent to withdraw.

Hawk78

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

C&D Jarnagin Catalog in "Frames" mode
Third U.S. Regular Infantry Reenactors - Sutlers
The Regimental Quartermaster - Home
I just bought a spare cylinder pouch. But it doesn't have the little leather wings under the outside flap that is supposed to keep it waterproof. I bought it from Dixie Gun Works too?

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Confederate horse soldiers often tried to carry more than one revolver, for 'New York' reloads. Shotguns were also favored in the hit and run tactics, taking the fight to the enemy. Your Cook & Brother carbine and Colt revolver are a great start. Good luck and history, Geo.

nkbj

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There were 12 bore side by side shotguns marketed years ago with interchangeable 14" and 28" barrels. Were they aimed at the reenacting market?

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There were 12 bore side by side shotguns marketed years ago with interchangeable 14" and 28" barrels. Were they aimed at the reenacting market?
I once owned a Terry's Texas Ranger's 12 guage double with 14" barrels and it was a hoot to shoot. It was a very close range set up, and you would almost have to look the enemy in the eye to hit him. I still would not have wanted to be on the business end of it. I believe the copy I had was marketed by Navy Arms Co. I did not have 28" barrels for it, but that would have been a wonderful addition; much more practical for hunting. As I recall, in modern times Gen. Schwartzkopf kept a double barrel shotgun by his bunk in the Gulf war, along with an old Book. Good things just keep on giving.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a reenactor but I really enjoy and appreciate having historically accurate gear. One of my ancestors was in the 21st VA Cavalry in 63 and on so I am looking for correct gear for that area of SW VA. I have a Cook and Bros. musketsoon and a .36 Colt Navy. I would like to gather a belt and cartridge box, buckle, cap pouch, holster and anything related to the the rifle and pistol. Can you folks recommend quality gear that is absolutely period correct?
Back in 1981, nobody was making a truly accurate copy of a cap pouch for Infantry or Cavalry. The ones Dixie as selling for around fifteen or sixteen bucks was a joke. So I decided to begin making them.

I used original/dug closures and repaired them as required for use. I included the sewn in wool under the flap used to retain the caps and even the little loop for the "Cone Pick" (period name for Nipple pick) and of course made the Cone Pick as well. I measured original boxes and made wood forms to wet mold the leather to shape for a couple different styles. I hand stitched the leather, but nobody could tell the difference between it and machine sewn, the latter much more common in the North. The only thing I would not do was invest in having period stamps made for U.S. or contractor marks. That cost was just too much for me.

I made and sold about 10 of them until one of the Sutlers at the North South Skirmish Association began making decent copies of the outside of the cap pouches and had good repro closures. They didn't have the wool, loop or Cone Pick, but they sold them for I think $18.00 at the time. I was charging $24.00 and figured I was making about 25 cents an hour on making mine. I THANKED the Sutler who made them when he showed me his and I showed him mine, as they were "good enough" for reenacting and were made from quality leather.

I had made a couple of very authentic Cartridge Boxes, but his were even more authentic than his cap boxes, so that ended me doing it and I was glad to have stopped. The only thing I could compete with for price was period holsters, slings and a few other minor things and I made a bunch of them, as mine were well received.

I went on to different leather period leather projects much more difficult to sew on a leather sewing machine or too small of quantity for most Sutlers to make.

Bottom line, there are generally three levels of leather goods available. One is the least expensive, but almost entirely inaccurate and not very good leather nor well made. Another level that generally is very good to excellent on the outside and leather, but is not totally sewn exactly to pattern or marked. This is the level most authentic reenactors choose. For those with a "heavy purse," you can get almost perfect reproductions, but the prices will scare you.

I made the leather sheath in the scabbard for my original 1850 Officer's Sword (a family heirloom) then bought original/dug throat, band and drag to complete the scabbard for another such sword I made up from original/dug brass pieces and a correct but slightly later blade, as they were still making "combat grade" blades into the early 20th century. The only other thing I did not make on the sword was the wooden grip, because I found an original in good shape and covered it with leather and the wire wrap. When I made both my black (Undress) and white (Dress) Sword Belts, I used original/dug hardware and even hoarded two original Confederate Sword hooks to use on them. I shudder to think how much the original/dug parts to do all that would cost today.

Gus

A34

32 Cal
Reaction score
The guy below (Saye leatherwork) is a Authentic Campaigner and does period correct leather work. I bought a cavalry set for the Army of Tennessee from him with Augusta arsenal markings. If he doesn't have what you need, he can probably direct you to the right person.