• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coneing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I discoverer that there is a tool? for coneing the crown of a muzzle after I did this. I was having a hard time starting a 49 cal ball using a 015 in this 50 cal pistol. I had to use the ball starter as a mallet to get the ball flush with muzzle. This actually worked. My question, does this look anything at all like a coned muzzle?

Attachments

• 333DEF52-3E24-44B5-8753-A91FCB268DD3.jpeg
    333DEF52-3E24-44B5-8753-A91FCB268DD3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Cruzatte, the crown is a partial torus, rounded like a tire. It is a Treditions Kentucky pistol 50 cal. Maybe that dark ring might be a bit of varnish from banging the starter. Didn’t see it until I photographed it.
I used a Drimmel, a small green stone and a jewels lupe. I cut back at maybe a 60 degree angle to meet the bottom of the rifleing. And it worked! I can start a ball without a hammer

I cut back at maybe a 60 degree angle to meet the bottom of the rifleing,
Aha,,
What you did was "Crown" the muzzle, (and a fine job you did of it!)
"Coning" is a different process,, where the actual rifling is cut back from the crown/muzzle contact point (by sanding) in a cone shape that extends an inch or more into the bore.
Assuring a proper Crown like you have done, does lend an added accuracy to any of these types of gun.
Well done, ;)

Latest posts

Back