• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coned Barrel Yesterday, Range Results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Took a 50 cal to the range yesterday. I thought I had coned this one but found out at the range that I hadn't . At home I decided after cleaning
it that I was going to cone it. I knew from experience it would be about 30-45 min and when done got I just what I wanted.
To those unfamiliar with coning, I'm just relieving the first few inches of the muzzle by a few 1/000's inch in a tapered, controlled manner. It's not hard and if anyone is interested further, please do a forum search. I just wanted to show results.
I'm shooting 80gr 3f under a 370gr T/C Maxi ball @ 50 yds.
Photo 1 is yesterday before coning.
" 2 shows how my Maxi drops in muzzle. I was able to ramrod maxi all way to powder from here.
" 3 Doesn't seem to be any lose of accuracy to me which concerns some folks about coning. Sure makes loading much easier.

Before coning.jpg

coning .jpg
IMG_1954.jpg

HAHA- I hadn't noticed the background on no.2 before. I shoot at a public range. God help me.

I recently coned my .62 rifled barrel. Before coning, I had to really pound on the ball starter. Now, I can seat the ball by hand and use the ram rod with no starter. I'm waiting until the March winds die down to go shooting.

1648128257042.png

I copied this from another post. You put sandpaper on the long part of the shaft. & the left end as shown, goes into muzzle first.. Then attach a tap handle to the top and rotate it and it sands the lands a few 1/000's. Please go to "General Muzzloading" forum and at top discussions look for "coning a barrel' by Claude Mathis. There is more info there about specifics.

I used Joe Woods coning tool on my .62. It didn't take long at all, and now my loading is without a short starter. Not only that, but before the coning, I had to really pound on the ball to get it started.

Best used with ‘sand paper’ made for metal removal, held onto the tool via double-sided carpet tape. Use various grits. Naptha or cheap ol’ lighter fluid, is superb at removing any adhesive stick on the tool when changing grits.

Best used with ‘sand paper’ made for metal removal, held onto the tool via double-sided carpet tape. Use various grits. Naptha or cheap ol’ lighter fluid, is superb at removing any adhesive stick on the tool when changing grits.
Yes the black "sand paper" for metal works well. I found that (2) pieces of 220, (1) 320 & (1) 440 did the trick. My carpet tape peeled off cleanly so I only had to clean when done. alcohol worked for me.

Back