• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coned Barrel and New Lube at the Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Perfect winter day to shoot. In the 40's with frost in the morning so only the die-hards were shooting. Got the 54 out and wanted to sight in the new peep along with my cast T/C Maxis and 1st attempt at a home made beeswax lube. I had also coned the barrel last year and it was such a pleasure to shoot. I only shoot maxis any more so I coned my 54 to get the full bullet below the muzzle with finger pressure. Between that and my beeswax/olive oil lube I found that could shoot all day without a short starter or wiping the barrel. My kinda shooting and a lot easier that other experiences I've had.

I have only one gun with a coned barrel, actually factory QLA'ed at T/C's factory. It's a .50 caliber and really doesn't do all that well with PRB. Conicals and plastic unmentionables with pistol bullets work just fine.

Your lube sounds interesting. I routinely shoot PRB with olive oil as a patch lube. With my loads I generally get little or no fouling.... which is the same results I get with Bore Butter. Are you willing to share your recipe in terms of ratio olive oil:beeswax? I am using Bore Butter for conicals now, but that stuff melts in hot weather... and warm barrels. Come summer, I might do some home-brewing of my own.

I use olive oil to beeswax in a 50-50 mix, switching to 1/3rd wax to 2/3rds oil only If shooting for extended shooting (up to 20 shots or more), and in Winter with temperatures around freezing or below.

Otherwise my hunting lube, for 1, 2 or 3 shots, but has never been more than 1, is mink oil by Track of the Wolf.

I have heard of a lot of folks who didn't like TCs QLA barrels. I had one but wasn't schooled on muzzle loaders back then so I don't know if it shot well or not because I didn't shoot any B/P guns well back then.

I coned a .54 barrel with a Joe Woods tool a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have a .54 GM drop in for a TC I am going to do next. There must be a difference in what TC put out and what the Joe Woods tool cuts, everyone likes the results of the Joe Woods tool.

My lube mix is straight from members here. I wanted to keep it simple so I started with two ingrediants. Mt first batch was 1:4 wax/oil. too soft and messy for me. Then 1:2 was too hard but would work in hot weather. So now i'm at 1:3 and that works for me. Only problem was that it wouldn't always stick well to the bullet. It was suggested to add some lanolin to solve that but I have yet to try it. It was also pointed out that when using bees wax that i might need to clean with alcohol.

Back