• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cone Stuck on Armi Sport Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHC199

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning all. I just bought an Armi Sport Springfield to use for reenacting and the previous owner neglected to clean properly the cone/nipple and now it is firmly stuck. Should I spot weld a nut on it and heat it up a bit to get it off or will it still fire if I just drill out the flash hole on the cone a bit and leave it as such. Opinions? Thanks!

You don't want to drill out the flash hole if you can avoid it. Is it clear now? After verifying it is unloaded point the muzzle at some grass or leaves and snap a couple of caps, you should see the grass move. Start applying a penetraring oil and find a 1/4" drive socket. Put that on the nipple upside down and find an allen wrench that fits the socket like a 5/16" allen wrench in a 5/16" 1/4" drive socket. If the drive end of the socket won't clear around the nipple area grind it down (use a cheap inported socket) and you can shorten the short arm of the allen wrench too so that it will fit under the hammer. You'll find that homomade nipple wrench to be very handy over a lifetime of shooting.

I'd try soaking it for a week with Kanno Kroil, reapplying daily. Soak from both the inside and outside.
I'd do this before anything drastic.

Definitely a thumbs up on the Kroil penetrant. Great stuff! Remove the barrel from the stock and plug the spark passage. Spray around the flange and run a bunch down the bore. Let it sit muzzle up for a few days, occasionally respraying the outside. It'll come loose.

While soaking it, buy a Ted Cash ratcheting nipple wrench that's available on eBay or from a lot of other vendors.
They make a socket that fits a musket nipple, also for rifles and for revolvers, often sold separately.
I've also found it helpful to place the nipple end of the barrel into boiling water even if only for a few minutes.

Last edited:
I agree with the pre-soak in penetrating oil. May take a little heat around the bolster area also but you should be able to get it. And ditto to the Ted Cash device.

when your done use anti sieze or what ever you have like nipple grease when you put a new one on.

I have various kinds but have the CVA anti sieze stick in my BP field box

I'm sure there is someone here with other suggestions like boiling the bone marrow of dead squirrels and mixing with fox urine or something to produce a magical paste :)

Use Kroil myself for loosing stuck fasteners with success. Another option if you happen to have it available is to try ATF and acetone. Remember seeing a test where a 50/50 mixture of it outperformed Kroil. Would have to find a way to keep the acetone from evaporating while soaking something in it. Imagine the acetone is critical to carrying the ATF so it penetrates to the tiniest of areas.

I had a stuck musket nipple that nothing worked at all. Bought a pair of needle nose vice grips, and with my plumbers torch, finally got it out. Hope your luck is better than mine.

You don't want to drill out the flash hole if you can avoid it. Is it clear now? After verifying it is unloaded point the muzzle at some grass or leaves and snap a couple of caps, you should see the grass move. Start applying a penetraring oil and find a 1/4" drive socket. Put that on the nipple upside down and find an allen wrench that fits the socket like a 5/16" allen wrench in a 5/16" 1/4" drive socket. If the drive end of the socket won't clear around the nipple area grind it down (use a cheap inported socket) and you can shorten the short arm of the allen wrench too so that it will fit under the hammer. You'll find that homomade nipple wrench to be very handy over a lifetime of shooting.

That worked perfectly! Cone is off and a new one has been installed.

Latest posts

Back