• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

concussion from BP revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the late sixties we used to go along to the tank ranges at Lulworth Cove in Dorset to work on bore-sight collimation as well as aligning the co-axial MG. One fine day, when we had a surplus of APDS* shot to get rid of so that we could get new barrels to go to Germany, we had a guest in the form of a Nigerian general who was making a pest of himself climbing all over the vehicles during the shoot - NOT a good idea.

The concussion from firing HE-FRAG, HEAT or Squash head (HEP to you) was fairly impressive if you were just sat on top of the turret - remember that British tank main armament is 120mm after 1966, with Chieftain coming into service. If would certainly blow you over if you just sat on the turret adjacent to the TC's cupola.

However, firing 'fin', the nickname for the APDS round, was a different matter completely, as it used exactly double the charge load of the other natures of ammunition. The TC, standing up in the cupola, actually made the shoot with his remote trigger, and instantly ducked down behind the ring to avoid the incredible blast from less than 20 feet away.

The visitor had nothing to hide behind, and was blown head over heels backwards off the turret, with his hat disappearing back in the direction of the NAAFI wagon behind the line...a faint cheer came from the watching throng of techies.............me included.

* Armour-piecing, discarding sabot - forerunner to the long-rod penetrator that looks like an arrow, and is fin-stabilised, aka APFS-DS

Last edited:
Back in the late sixties we used to go along to the tank ranges at Lulworth Cove in Dorset to work on bore-sight collimation as well as aligning the co-axial MG. One fine day, when we had a surplus of APDS* shot to get rid of so that we could get new barrels to go to Germany, we had a guest in the form of a Nigerian general who was making a pest of himself climbing all over the vehicles during the shoot - NOT a good idea.

The concussion from firing HE-FRAG, HEAT or Squash head (HEP to you) was fairly impressive if you were just sat on top of the turret - remember that British tank main armament is 120mm after 1966, with Chieftain coming into service. If would certainly blow you over if you just sat on the turret adjacent to the TC's cupola.

However, firing 'fin', the nickname for the APDS round, was a different matter completely, as it used exactly double the charge load of the other natures of ammunition. The TC, standing up in the cupola, actually made the shoot with his remote trigger, and instantly ducked down behind the ring to avoid the incredible blast from less than 20 feet away.

The visitor had nothing to hide behind, and was blown head over heels backwards off the turret, with his hat disappearing back in the direction of the NAAFI wagon behind the line...a faint cheer came from the watching throng of techies.............me included.

* Armour-piecing, discarding sabot - forerunner to the long-rod penetrator that looks like an arrow, and is fin-stabilised, aka APFS-DS
The General didn't hear the cheer did he…

I've read several times but have always been skeptical that in Wild West days when a gun fight would break out in a saloon that the first couple of shots would knock out all the flames from oil lamps lighting the joint.
I can certainly see how a couple of shots from a .44 would smoke up the place enough to make it seem as all the lights were out but I wonder/doubt that the concussion actually was putting the oil lamp flames out.

It is B. S.

I kind of think the Movies have made us all think the Old West was just like that; saloons, gunfights, etc., but most people just had to work and make their way. It's TIRING to carry a pistol on a slanted-down belt all day! And expensive cartridges would get damaged rolling around the ground or saloon floor! That's all Hollywood! And, yes, real blackpowder is much more smoky than the movies, or they would not be able to film!
I agree the saloon scenes in some movies were mostly the "figments of imagination" of some Hollywood writers. Especially the night time scenes. The saloons were close to being empty.There were probably a few night owls present, but most men were home sleeping. They were the working folk who had to be at work come the "crack of dawn".Not wasting money in some bar.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Mike Venturino wrote about a lamp being blown out in a small room by the concussion from a .44 caliber cartridge revolver he was using. I believe that it was actually a .44-40. I'll try to find the article.

The lamp must have been about 18” from the muzzle of the gun and had no glass chimney for that to happen.

Back