• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Concern's with 1861 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a new uberti 1861 Navy. Yesterday when I was shooting it I noticed something weird. My load was 18 grians of tripple 7 fffg and a cast 375 ball with a wonder wad. First 3 shoots fired and noticed that after the shot the cyclinder rotated a little. Oh and I was using rws caps. So I changed caps it didn't do it again. Then I wished to black powder fffg didn't do it again. Could it be blow back? Never had this problem before this is a new one for me. Could it be the rws caps. Or the tripple 7 powder. I did back the load down to 15 grains of powder of tripple 7 with the rest caps and it didn't do it again. The gun also has the factory nipples in it thanks rawhide

Eighteen grains is a mild load for a .36 and that wouldn't have had anything to with the problem nor, in my opinion, would the brand of caps or the type of powder. The factory nipples often have problems of their own but nothing that would cause the cylinder to rotate. I suspect you may have had a burr on the bolt or elsewhere inside preventing it from fully locking the cylinder and that it wore off. It's also possible there are chips left inside from the machining operations and they are or were causing trouble. I recomend you carefully disassemble and inspect the revolver. I have a hard stone with a nice flat surface and I lay each part on its side and polish them. After I inspect each edge for burrs and any surfaces that engage other parts for burrs and machining marks that may interfere with their action. Unfortunately it's almost mandatory to do that (and more) to a new gun. If you don't feel comfortable working with the parts at least dissassemble the gun and clean everything specially the inside of the frame and reassemble using some lube. It really isn't difficult at all.

My thoughts exactly. I won't mention of course that the only chain fire I ever had, in 30 years of shooting my 1860 Colt was with 777, but I won't say anything as it could have been a fluke. A fluke that blew the front sight and loading lever latch off the pistol. But I don't want anymore flukes. But it's not unusual for any new gun to have to wear in a bit. Do as Hawk says and carefully disassemble, etc., etc.

I have been loading 20 grains of 777 and the same 20 grains of 3fg in my .44 cal 1858. Anyone know if 25 or 30 grains will fit? 20 grains is fine for targets but I would like to bump it up to hunt. Keep yer powder dry...…….robin

If you have an adjustable measure, just measure out 30 grains, load a chamber and see if there is room for a ball. I'm pretty sure my two 58s will hold a little more than 30 grains with a felt wad over the powder before the ball. It has been a while since I've shot a full load, so I don't remember for sure.

A '58 should take almost 40 grains. But....yeah....thought about pouring in some powder until it's about 1/4-3/8ths inch from the chamber mouth, pouring it out and weighing it? (or pour into a measure?)

I may be wrong, but beware of heavy loads of 777. Some like it, I don't trust it.

My load was 18 grians of tripple 7 fffg and a cast 375 ball with a wonder wad. First 3 shoots fired and noticed that after the shot the cyclinder rotated a little.

Are .375 balls even recommended for Uberti .36's?
I thought that Uberti recommended .380 balls.
Are they shaving a small ring of lead when rammed?
Maybe your cylinder is trying to warn you that something could be moving inside of your chamber.
When your hammer drops, I think that it's normal for the cylinder to move back and forth briefly.
In what other direction is the cylinder moving?
If there were excessive blowback from your powder charge, it would cause your hammer to recock and advance your cylinder, or the hammer would go to half-cock.
You would know it, but your load is not producing that amount of blowback.
Clean, lubricate, keep your eye on it and use the correct size balls if a larger size is needed.

Last edited:
You know...if the hammer did blow back a little, that would rotate the cylinder, a little. But I don't think that is common, on the revolvers, even with a heavy load. Even with funky triple seven. But again, who knows how much pressure, and what the weird dynamics are, with the funky triple seven. (sang to the tune of "Funky Cold Medina") I'm still thinking the bolt just may have stuck down, or wasn't fully engaged in the locking notch, or something like that. I did have a pistol once, that brand new had a funky trigger/bolt spring, which broke right away. Replaced it and it has been a perfect pistol forever. And ever since.

Check the cylinder bolt width as compared to the notches in the cylinder and see if the bolt is a little too wide to fully engage the notches. I have run into that a time or two when dealing with the stamped internal parts where it leaves a slight raised area on one side. A few minutes with a good whetstone would take care of it if that is the problem.

I recomend you carefully disassemble and inspect the revolver. I have a hard stone with a nice flat surface and I lay each part on its side and polish them. After I inspect each edge for burrs and any surfaces that engage other parts for burrs and machining marks that may interfere with their action. Unfortunately it's almost mandatory to do that (and more) to a new gun.

Good advice and not that hard to do. Your post recalls to me my very first ml type firearm. We were in the process of moving from Illinois to Indiana to start a new business. I went first and lived alone for about six months until the northern house was sold. No TV, no computer. I mail ordered a brass frame Remington Army kit from Dixie Gun works. Assembling it on the kitchen table was a great lesson in gunsmithing. Using very basic tools I did as hawkeye2 suggested. I carefully stoned the burrs and polished the flat sides of all the parts before fitting everything together. But, disassembly, more stoning and reassembly happened several more times before I was satisfied the revolver would work properly. Great teaching tool. Probably where I came up with my 'do it yerself' philosophy.

I have a new uberti 1861 Navy. Yesterday when I was shooting it I noticed something weird. My load was 18 grians of tripple 7 fffg and a cast 375 ball with a wonder wad. First 3 shoots fired and noticed that after the shot the cyclinder rotated a little. Oh and I was using rws caps. So I changed caps it didn't do it again. Then I wished to black powder fffg didn't do it again. Could it be blow back? Never had this problem before this is a new one for me. Could it be the rws caps. Or the tripple 7 powder. I did back the load down to 15 grains of powder of tripple 7 with the rest caps and it didn't do it again. The gun also has the factory nipples in it thanks rawhide

Could it be the bolt/trigger spring? Noticed this with my Uberti 1873 (sorry, I know it’s modern for the forum but felt it relevant). Turned out there was a barely noticeable crack in the spring where the leaf met in front of the screw hole. It kept the bolt from completely locking up.

Latest posts

Back