• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Completed.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mission accomplished.
Sunday was blighted with a migraine and gout. Fortunately I was fit for work today but took my gear for the rabbit I was still after.
I'm pleased to say the powder charge loaded and plugged with a thorn on wet Friday went off perfectly tonight.
It was a lovely evening with a good show of rabbit.
View attachment 68965
I had a rabbit in front of me but tried to photograph it instead and so while fumbling with the camera it got suspicious and slipped away. It was only 12 yards away!
I put the camera away and got serious.
After a long slow stalk and the sun on set I finally had a rabbit in front of me. I was convinced it was a young doe and was doing my best to ignore it and watching another buck chasing a doe a little further on.
Well dang it if the wind didn't do a swirl and gave me away and rabbits bolted all roads! Except that is for junior in front of me less than 20yds!
Well she who turns out was a he after all turned and streched that made me realise it was bigger than I had initially thought so I shot. I aimed off to the side of the head.
There was the flash in the pan, then I just had to wait what seems like forever for that stupid course powder to go off. Boom and bunny was down but not out. I was there as quick as a whippet....I wasn't going to lose it at any cost!
View attachment 68976
I walked the mile plus back to the car with the wind now behind me. The shouldered gun had its vent by my face. The heady smell of sulphur was intoxicating and I overdosed on it hoping it would be a lasting fix! I doubt it will though, just makes the craving worse!
Bunny should be good. 3/4 grown buck. Probably born in December!
Thank you Lord. 👏.
Now should I clean it tonight or tomorrow. Maybe in a min....
Fantastic pictures,

Brit.........Thanks for the commentary and pics. Reminds me of the 1950's in the Pa. and W.Va. coal regions when all the mines were shut down after WW-2 ended. As a kid , we hunted hard for anything edible. Had some good times doing it. In the mountains near home Rough Grouse were on an up cycle , and 50 flushes before noon were the norm. Some good eating............oldwood

They must of been tough times

My ancestors came from W. VA. and yes times were hard back then , but they were free.

I often let the sun set on a dirty gun friend. Never had an issue. This time it was first fired on Friday in the rain then stored until Monday un clean.
The rabbit will be prepped tonight. The temps are up!
I have read you do and have no problems with it. Even though Britain ain’t the Sahara. Still no morphine addict ever started shaking like I do if my guns dirty and I’ve gotten home from the hunt or shoot.

I often wait till the end of day, or next day before cleaning. However I do run a couple moist patches down and follow with a quick dry patch once shooting is done, or hunt was successful.
Walk

I often wait till the end of day, or next day before cleaning. However I do run a couple moist patches down and follow with a quick dry patch once shooting is done, or hunt was successful.
Walk
Sometimes I have run an olive oil beeswax greased patch before good cleaning session as an intermediate measure.

I’d like to see a couple pictures of how you serve it.Roasted barbecue baked in a stew I don’t know what is the best way to eat rabbit

I tend to dice the meat and shallow fried for a short time with black pepper. Add a can of suitable soup.
Add croutons.
Works well with white wine sauce or goes well with beef.
The list is endless....

Brit, I am fascinated with your countries hunting, are there no seasons for the game species you hunt. Now where I am at the hunting seasons are winding down perhaps a few ducks but I am not a water fowler, Now is the time to start trout fishing, working on a trip with my best friend for a few days in the wilds of WVA, chasing rainbows and golden trout, got the itch for some mountain stream seclusion and tossing a few flies around. Then some range work with un-mentionable rifles for our Oct. trip to Wyoming, The farm where we hunt rabbits the owner ask us to evict a few groundhogs this summer for him. That's about it. Until deer season and late rabbits.

Brit, I am fascinated with your countries hunting, are there no seasons for the game species you hunt. Now where I am at the hunting seasons are winding down perhaps a few ducks but I am not a water fowler, Now is the time to start trout fishing, working on a trip with my best friend for a few days in the wilds of WVA, chasing rainbows and golden trout, got the itch for some mountain stream seclusion and tossing a few flies around. Then some range work with un-mentionable rifles for our Oct. trip to Wyoming, The farm where we hunt rabbits the owner ask us to evict a few groundhogs this summer for him. That's about it. Until deer season and late rabbits.
Rabbits and hares there is no close season. Deer have close seasons except muntjac.
Pheasants, partridge, ducks and some waders have closed seasons.
Things have changed somewhat for wood pigeon and crows.
They can only be shot if causing crop damage or for the conservation of other species. Its a technicality dreamt up by vegans.
It will probably result in farmers seeing the government for crop loss due to huge flocks decimating fields because no one dare shoot at them anymore!
Fortunately we don't have game wardens and no police, just busy body public do gooders everywhere 🙄

I skinned out a muntjac deer that a door gunner shot while on a resupply mission to us out in the boondocks. Handsome little buggers with a pair of teeth like fangs, sort of a saber toothed deer.
Seems our busy body do gooders are reproducing at a rate faster than the local cottontail population.
Robby

Mission accomplished.
Sunday was blighted with a migraine and gout. Fortunately I was fit for work today but took my gear for the rabbit I was still after.
I'm pleased to say the powder charge loaded and plugged with a thorn on wet Friday went off perfectly tonight.
It was a lovely evening with a good show of rabbit.
View attachment 68965
I had a rabbit in front of me but tried to photograph it instead and so while fumbling with the camera it got suspicious and slipped away. It was only 12 yards away!
I put the camera away and got serious.
After a long slow stalk and the sun on set I finally had a rabbit in front of me. I was convinced it was a young doe and was doing my best to ignore it and watching another buck chasing a doe a little further on.
Well dang it if the wind didn't do a swirl and gave me away and rabbits bolted all roads! Except that is for junior in front of me less than 20yds!
Well she who turns out was a he after all turned and streched that made me realise it was bigger than I had initially thought so I shot. I aimed off to the side of the head.
There was the flash in the pan, then I just had to wait what seems like forever for that stupid course powder to go off. Boom and bunny was down but not out. I was there as quick as a whippet....I wasn't going to lose it at any cost!
View attachment 68976
I walked the mile plus back to the car with the wind now behind me. The shouldered gun had its vent by my face. The heady smell of sulphur was intoxicating and I overdosed on it hoping it would be a lasting fix! I doubt it will though, just makes the craving worse!
Bunny should be good. 3/4 grown buck. Probably born in December!
Thank you Lord. 👏.
Now should I clean it tonight or tomorrow. Maybe in a min....
Down but not out??? at 20 yds with that load you should have been picking up Rabbit Burger.. LOL.. 3/4 grown Shushi in Dec. You must have some randy bucks up your end of the forest. Haven't seen a Shushi around here for some times, but we have the odd Brown Hare in the wood. Like Woodcock, I couldn't dream of bringing them down, Not even with a FUN gun.. Been casting some 451112 430 grn. (Won't hurt too much wit 2 1/2grn of Cannister 2) for when you want to come down when we are open again (IF EVER), either at wARWICK OR s dERBS.. Trust you eat it well./. Who ever cleans a Fun gun. It's going to be used again. (Dry BP is not corrisive) Tomorrow !! OLD DOG..

I tend to dice the meat and shallow fried for a short time with black pepper. Add a can of suitable soup.
Add croutons.
Works well with white wine sauce or goes well with beef.
The list is endless....
During WW11 when we chased down Shussi's with throwing sticks when the Binders reached the Triangle ,when we got 'ome Mom 'ud skin 'em,Ears head'an all.Took out theys an Boiled the lot,'heades 'an all. Tonges were best bit 'an brains were good.Just lic early calves.We 'ad to eat..OLD DOG

Shallow fried with pepper. Garlic salt, ginger, cinnamon turmeric.
Then gently simmered for two hours in a can of scotchbroth soup.
Sreved with roasted jacket potatoes and grated mozzarella cheese.
20210321_194527.jpg

Latest posts

Back