• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Completed powder horn with staples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
OK -- here it is - my project horn using staples completed. Installing the staples was not as bad as I first thought and the wall thickness of the spout end was thicker than I first thought. I drilled undersized holes and tapped the staples in. I used 0.062" diameter "bailling wire" which did a great job and was very secure in the horn & wood - no epoxy was used in the staple holes. The wood spout was a pain to attach to the spout as this was my first of this type and I tried to contour the wood hole to fit the horn spout contour. I should have rounded the horn spout to fit a round hole that I drilled into the wood spout not the other way around. The wood is epoxied onto the horn (GASP) :redface:. All things considered I think it came out OK :) .

Looks like you have a nice functional powder horn alright! .. I'm not a fan of those contemporary brass threaded base plug knobs, but that is just me. You do know that you didn't need that staple in the base plug with that brass knob. That knob is your strap anchor point.

Now make another one!
Rick

PS .. By the way, wood applied spouts are very rare.

Overall a really beautiful horn...I really like the stain you chose for the wood, however, I did not notice the need for staples as your strap attachment points would be ( for me) the drawer pull knob on the base plug and just before your wooden pour spout.

Thanks to all that replied :) . I made the brass threaded knob assembly on the butt plug because the person who is receiving this horn is a non-muzzleloading shooter - this will be his first ML rifle & accessories (18th B-day gift from his father) :thumbsup: . I want him to be able to fill the horn with ease. I used wood for the spout & butt plug because it was what I cut off the stock blank and was left over (I'm cheap). I originally tied the braded strap onto the brass knob but it looked all bunched up and bulky - I did not like it :( . I learned a lot from doing this horn and all your good advise. When I make another it will be much, much better because of all your help. Again thanks to ALL :grin: .
The stain is Aqua Fortis - blushed - then Homer Dangler reddish brown stain on top.

Nice job.

The wood tip is interesting. Also consider horn, antler and bone.

Nice lathe work. You have the speed up and the curves flow well.

Getting shoulder on the tip of the horn turned to accept the tip will help that area on future horns.

Thanks -- as for the wood lathe work - "I just went with the flow" and after a few chisle "catches" I came up with this shape. I'm more of a metal lathe guy (made the brass horn butt screw plug) :thumbsup: .

Back