• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

COMPARISON OF 3 MOLDS FOR .530 LEAD ROUND BALLS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
fullsizeoutput-26b2.jpg

Yep! you’re board but in a good productive way.

Back when I first started casting I weighed every ball + or - a grain. Measured mold cavities on the various brands. Like you I also recorded everything! Also numbered the bottom of the mold handles to keep track of what mold was producing what when it came to weight variations and exterior quality of the ball?

Now days I just grab a mold that’s the diameter I’m wanting to cast and start making some balls. If they look good to my now trained eye, they’re keepers! If not, they go back in the pot!

Anyway, been there done that. Nothing is ever a waist of time and I salute your efforts my friend. Nothing wrong with knowing what mold is producing the best quality ball?

Thank you for sharing your findings!

Respectfully, Cowboy👍

I also kick out the truly ugly ones, those that were not a full pour and shoot the rest. I further segregate at the line . Anything at 25 and 50 better ones at 75 and 100. Shooting center fire pistol only shot jacketed at longer ranges. I shoot for fun but don’t want to really suck at it

Did you measure the diameters? That would be another interesting piece of the puzzle :)

Aha! Diameters rear their ugly head......
I got bored and drilled/filed out a 'snap gauge' with a .490" hole, a .495" hole, and a .562" hole to separate mixed up balls in the pouch. Yes, I was stuck at home and bored to distraction. I applaud your industrious nature!! Tinhorn

sb, My results from a single cavity RCBS .530" RB mould are quite similar to yours, i.e., the mean weight was between 222.3 - 224.8 grs.* I'm not sure whether I was bored, but I routinely weigh my RB's, if for no other reason than to eliminate the outliers.

*cast on Thursday (ladle pour); lead thermometer; weighed yesterday.

I used to be real strict in how my balls had to look and would dump a majority of any I'd mold. Now days I'm not so demanding and one with a slight blemish or wrinkle gets shot. Have not seen any difference in accuracy.

Back