• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Comparing two French Fusils

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I finished the second Fusil, a French Trade Gun, ('Type D"). It was a compilation of parts provided by Clay Smith. The stock is Walnut, the lock is from Larry Zornes and the barrel is from the Mold and Gun Shop. The stock was pre-carved and the parts needed proper fitting, as usual. But I had no issues with this build (except for wrecking the first butt plate).
I have had no exposure to French trade guns previous this build and didn't know what to expect. I immediately noticed differences between it and the Fusil de Chasse I recently made (parts from Pecatonica). The butt stock is straighter with less swoop than the Fusil de Chasse. The barrel is certainly much more narrow at the muzzel than the Colerain of the Fusil de Chasse, and the Trade Gun's barrel is tapered and, though wider at the breech, is much, much lighter and balances nicely.
Also, the lock on the Trade Gun is much heftier. I have not fired the gun yet but I think the lock will be fast and strong.
The Trade Gun had a lot of wood to remove on the forestock- the web was thicker than I would like, so I slimmed the forestock and exposed more than half of the barrel profile, as well as the ramrod. It certainly helped give the Trade Gun a more slim look.
The weight of both guns is similar- the Fusil de Chasse is 7 pounds, and the Trade Gun is at 6.5 pounds.
I finished the stock of the Trade Gun first with a light application of Boiled Linseed Oil and then after several days applied wiping varnish (3 sessions). It has a lovely color I think. The Fusil de Chasse is Curly Maple which I dyed dark and then applied Wiping Varnish and after thoroughly curing for three weeks cave it a nice Renaissance wax topcoat.
I am going to post better pictures of the Fusil Trade Gun soon, and hope to fire it in a week as the varnish cures.

Attachments

• F 1.jpg
    F 1.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 104
  • F 2.jpg
    F 2.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 96
  • F 5.jpg
    F 5.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 93
  • F 6.jpg
    F 6.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 94
  • F 7.jpg
    F 7.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 92
  • F 8.jpg
    F 8.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 91
  • f 10.jpg
    f 10.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi Pathfinder,
Books by Rene Chartrand, Kevin Gladysz, and Russell Bouchard concerning French trade and hunting guns will provide a wealth of information for comparisons. Even better, view examples in collections or museums. The famous Hawk fowler in the Historic Deerfield, MA Memorial Museum has a 4 pied et 6 pouces French hunting barrel (meaning 57.5" long) and the gun weighs under 7 lbs. Many of the better hunting barrels had flat sighting planes cut full length to the front sight such as this reproduction.
nXPF8N6.jpg

ORwGRvb.jpg

dave

Hi Pathfinder,
Books by Rene Chartrand, Kevin Gladysz, and Russell Bouchard concerning French trade and hunting guns will provide a wealth of information for comparisons. Even better, view examples in collections or museums. The famous Hawk fowler in the Historic Deerfield, MA Memorial Museum has a 4 pied et 6 pouces French hunting barrel (meaning 57.5" long) and the gun weighs under 7 lbs. Many of the better hunting barrels had flat sighting planes cut full length to the front sight such as this reproduction.
nXPF8N6.jpg

ORwGRvb.jpg

dave
Thank you Dave- hope those books are still available. That full-length sighting flat reminds me of what we see on some modern shotgun barrels.

Very nice builds!

Whilst not needed per se, note that the front sights on French arms would be 'barelycorn' shaped, with not a straight feature on it anywhere, with no base and definitely not that of a turtle, LOL.

I do like how the FdC carries the ballister > 1/2 way to 2/3rds of the way through the buttstock. And from reading/dissecting R. Bouchard's book, he explains the evolution of the amount of drop and/or swoop to the French arms in great detail. So it really matters for 'what vintage' or contract one is building to for that detail, or for other build details such as a round-faced or flat-profiled lockplate, and even to the length thereof.

And PLEASE note my comments here and on your other posts about these arms, in regards to 'correctness of the parts offered' in these kits, are directed to those selling the parts kit (a HUGE pet peeve of mine!) - and not against the builder - as you did a wonderful job on them!

Very nice builds!

Whilst not needed per se, note that the front sights on French arms would be 'barelycorn' shaped, with not a straight feature on it anywhere, with no base and definitely not that of a turtle, LOL.

I do like how the FdC carries the ballister > 1/2 way to 2/3rds of the way through the buttstock. And from reading/dissecting R. Bouchard's book, he explains the evolution of the amount of drop and/or swoop to the French arms in great detail. So it really matters for 'what vintage' or contract one is building to for that detail, or for other build details such as a round-faced or flat-profiled lockplate, and even to the length thereof.

And PLEASE note my comments here and on your other posts about these arms, in regards to 'correctness of the parts offered' in these kits, are directed to those selling the parts kit (a HUGE pet peeve of mine!) - and not against the builder - as you did a wonderful job on them!
Thank you for your comments and I agree that it's sometimes a problem when kit parts are not really correct for a build. Also, sometimes the parts included in a kit just wont work well or the struggle to force them to work is craziness, especially when other items available (and appropriate)and could have been used. Anyway, these two guns were for me very enjoyable to make and I found that I am learning lots of new things.
I dont know why but my latest three builds have all been French :dunno:

I thank you for putting in the extra work to photo both works so a comparison can be made. Those of us who don't get a lot of hands on with a variety of guns find this kind of work invaluable. Thanks Again, NE

I thank you for putting in the extra work to photo both works so a comparison can be made. Those of us who don't get a lot of hands on with a variety of guns find this kind of work invaluable. Thanks Again, NE
I myself was surprised at the differences between the two guns. I had very few photos (and no actual examples, originals or copies) to go by, so hopefully these will be helpful in showing the differences of these very cool French fusils. I was guided during the builds by some very excellent and knowledgeable gun makers here and on another forum and got positive feedback on the end results, so in that regard I feel pretty good. Thanks for looking and for your comment!

Back