• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Common loads for 20 ga?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im wondering what loads are being used in 20 gauge flintlocks. Does it depend on the gun like a rifle load does or is there a bit of variation in loads a gun will shoot? Is it all depending on the intended use? Im interested in what you can tell me about it.

Yes, it is dependent on all the above. The versatility of a smooth bore also means there are dozens of different loads that can be used. You can vary the powder volume and granulation. You can use any type of shot from #9 to buckshot to round balls. You can use many types of wads such as cardboard, felt, paper, wool, tow, wasp nests, leaves and the list goes on and on.

There are numerous threads on this forum that cover smooth bore loads. Check out the YouTube smooth bore videos by Black Powder Maniac Shooter or on Black Powder TV. Britsmoothy posts some good threads about smooth bore hunting also.

Does it depend on the gun like a rifle load does or is there a bit of variation in loads a gun will shoot? Is it all depending on the intended use?
Yes.
All of the above.
I have to 20 gauge flintlock guns. Preferred loads are similar, but not exactly the same.
Small game, roughly, 60 to 65 grains 3f or 2f, thin card, lubed wad (either felt or balled up lubed tow), about 1 oz. of shot, held in by another thin card. Small game loads aren't that picky.

Turkeys. One gun does fine with 80 grains powder the other doesn't do well with more than 70 grains. 1 1/8 oz. #5 shot. Skychief load on top of that for one gun, haven't tried it in the other yet, was using a lubed paper shot cup.

Roundball for deer. One gun likes 85 grains 3f and a tight patch/ball combo, the other shoots wild with any tight combo, but will shoot a loose patch ball combo (.595 ball and .010 patch) with either 65 grains 3f or 80 grains 3f, equally well. That second gun also shoots a .610 ball over a lubed wad and held with a card over 65 grains 3f, the 1st gun wants about 70 (experiments are ongoing).
Loads must be developed either way. But I do think there is a little more forgiveness than with a rifle.

A good place to start in my opinion is an equivalent to a modern load. they still list them as ounces of shot and drams equivalent. Leaves a lot of room for experimentation with wads and shot columns. Probably want to start with lower powered loads and work your way up.

Im wondering what loads are being used in 20 gauge flintlocks. Does it depend on the gun like a rifle load does or is there a bit of variation in loads a gun will shoot? Is it all depending on the intended use? Im interested in what you can tell me about it.
Heavy loads seem to do best in my trade 20. I shoot 120 gr 2f, Leather wad top and bottom .60 rb

I shot the Pedersoli 20 SxS today that I got from Prairie Dawg recently. 70 grains of 3f, two cards, half a lubed cushion wad, payload, other half of lubed cushion wad. Payloads were ~1 ounce of reclaimed birdshot, seven .35 caliber balls or a 320 grain .600 ball. Functioned fine and rocked the 30 gallon plastic barrel I was shooting at really well. More of a "function" day. Next time out I'll do real patterning. Fun shotgun!

wm

Shoot what ever works for you. I shoot 2Fg and 3Fg in all my 20 bore's. Although I prefer 3Fg for both Flintlock and cap lock. 3Fg = 75-80 grains in the flintlocks and 75 grains in the cap lock. Either OE or Swiss. For the 2Fg I shoot it mainly in the cap lock at about 80 grains.
My wadding is pretty simple, 1 1/8" leather OP wad, 1 1\4" to 1/2" Felt wad or Fiber wad lubed with beeswax and olive oil, shot charge, then another lubed felt wad or fiber wad to top it all off.
All three of my Pedersoli 20's love this combination and throw excellent patterns out to 40 yards with shot ranging from 7's - 2's in Bismuth.
Again, shoot whatever makes you happy!
Rob.

It depends what your shooting. Bunnies and tree rats get a square load of 50grs fffg and #7-8 shot.
Dove get a little hotter load, 60 grs square and 7 1/2.
Turkey? Yea killed several with 75grs fffg and 1 1/8 #6 or 4.
Haven't shot ball in my 20, might try it though.
I gave up on tow, leather, hornet nest and just buy overshot wads from Flintlocks LLC. They cost a penny each, use 2 for powder.

Guys, I really appreciate the input and especially the specific measurements you have provided!

Shot load is still "up in the air" so to speak. But for a .600" ball in my 20 ga I like 70 to 75 grains of 3F and a thin lubed patch. The deer don't like it but I sure do.

Back