• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Committee of Safety musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about the Pedersoli Fredericksburg Committee of Safety musket by Pedersoli?

Found a few older posts on the forum but haven't found any other info. Is it as scarce as I think? Made in 1982. Picked it up with bayonet and scabbard for what I think was a very reasonable price.

They are very elusive, I did see one once though. If I remember they were somewhat pricey compared to a Bess or Charleville. I guess it doesn't matter, I had a Bess and no extra $$ but I would have liked to get one. I don't think they were advertised for more than a couple of years.

They are very elusive, I did see one once though. If I remember they were somewhat pricey compared to a Bess or Charleville. I guess it doesn't matter, I had a Bess and no extra $$ but I would have liked to get one. I don't think they were advertised for more than a couple of years.
I'm a Hawken / Plains rifle kind of guy and would have passed but it was only 650 green little paper thingies. Extremely good shape.

Barrel length from back of breech to muzzle is 42". There is a bulge / hump in the stock at the entry pipe that I've seen on Bess's. Am curious at the light color of the stock. Think it's cherry but I'm no expert.
IMG_20220307_191934040.jpg

IMG_20220307_185503997.jpg

IMG_20220307_185512662.jpg

IMG_20220307_185521483.jpg

IMG_20220307_185625183.jpg
IMG_20220307_190348200.jpg

IMG_20220307_185859631.jpg

IMG_20220307_185906671.jpg

I think it is a very nice variant of a Second Model Short Land Pattern Musket. Generally good for an AWI tie in. It would be much better if it was a Long Land Pattern Musket with a 46" barrel. Bit of a fantasy gun, but it should be a good performing smooth bored musket.

The stock is the same color and grain as my circa 1976 Pedersoli Bess and mine is not cherry. I very much doubt that one is either. The only Pedersoli Committee of Safety musket I ever saw had a very dark stained stock and no Bess swell (if I remember correctly) at the entry pipe. It was unmodified and still up for sale in the museum store circa 82. The lock on this gun is flat faced and the cock has a different contour than their Bess.

It was a limited production to “copy” a musket made by the Fredericksburg Armory during the Revolutionary war. The Fred on the lock indicates Fredericksburg Armory. Very few original Fredericksburg Muskets survive.
When Virginia declared independence, the Kings governor had to leave Williamsburg quickly and had the locks removed from the arsenal of Besses in Williamsburg; no time to remove all the muskets. Virginia authorized an Arsenal in Fredericksburg to replace locks and then to build muskets for Virginia.
Your copy was a limited run, I know many sold by Track of the Wolf. I have been looking for one for years but couldn’t find one. I think they took a production Bess but engraved the lock Fred. I’m envious. Instead, I had Larry Williams build a Militia Musket for me.

It was a limited production to “copy” a musket made by the Fredericksburg Armory during the Revolutionary war. The Fred on the lock indicates Fredericksburg Armory. Very few original Fredericksburg Muskets survive.
When Virginia declared independence, the Kings governor had to leave Williamsburg quickly and had the locks removed from the arsenal of Besses in Williamsburg; no time to remove all the muskets. Virginia authorized an Arsenal in Fredericksburg to replace locks and then to build muskets for Virginia.
Your copy was a limited run, I know many sold by Track of the Wolf. I have been looking for one for years but couldn’t find one. I think they took a production Bess but engraved the lock Fred. I’m envious. Instead, I had Larry Williams build a Militia Musket for me.
Was this the armory that Fielding Lewis, George Washingtons brother-in-law started up in Fredericksburg?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back