• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Commercial .58 maxiball woes, advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered around 400 .58 maxiballs 20 packages of 20, so far about 5 of the 20 are very loose and will slip fit into my TC big Boars i own 2 of them, the ones that fit snug shoot well. im wondering if i could wrap them in onion skin 2 wraps and shoot them. not knowing if they are 100% pure lead or not i dont want to throw them in with my pure lead scraps that im saving for moulding at a later date i do shoot plenty of round balls i do have a .58 lee real mould but i really like the extra weight these have ive gotten quite a few 2fers on big hogs using these with 90 gr 2F. i seen another video a guy wrapped aluminum foil. i know the rings around the bullet get progressively bigger towards the point. considering throwing them into a roundball scrap i have of unknown pureness for roundballs any advice is helpful. i have a digital caliber to measure just got to find the right battery

If you have some onion skin, cut a strip a half inch or maybe a bit wider. Place a piece of one (or two in a cross pattern) of these strips over the bore under one of your maxiballs as you load them. I have done this when using paperpatched bullets in a clean bore if I felt the bullet was a tad too small for carrying around in hunting situations, though I have had any paperpatched bullets move off the powder.

Get out your calipers or micrometer. You do have a precision measuring device? Measure the diameter. Are the Maxi-Balls all the same diameter at the top ring? You may be seeing the difference between different molds. The cross patch or a paper wrapped patch will add a bit more to the diameter.

Latest posts

Back