• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Comments at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I organized a black powder shooting activity for a pioneer trek for youth 14-18. As one of several shooting coaches, we had the kids load the guns and shoot toilet paper spit balls as blanks. I had one 13 year old girl step up and struggle to level my rifle- the only flintlock of the group. The pan flashed, the shot broke, and her only words were "Holy S*@t". One of my most memorable shooting experiences.

Remember looking at the Shotgun News long ago and seeing old Damascus guns going for cheap and thinking to myself that same thing, "Why would anybody want one of those?" After reading about real blow up tests on Damascus barrels vs what happens when more modern steel guns give it up, I have changed my tune! Will be happy to welcome those old timers in good condition, into my collection.
I got a 1902 LC Smith damascus 16 gua. hammer gun for free from a fellow whose dad had put it up in the rafters of their barn some time back in the 1950's, because he had somehow knocked the forestock lump off. He taped the forestock in place (thank the Powers), and I was able to make a new lug and restore the gun to shootable condition. My fav.; a bit less kick than a 12, and I can miss just as often. I just shoot black in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I let a Vietnamese teen age girl shoot my Sharps 45-70 at 100 yards 4 or 5 years ago. She knew how to use a scope and found the target easily. She wasn’t strong enough to set the trigger so I did it for her! I stood 3 feet behind her and when it went bang she flew off the stool! I caught her in mid air!!! The smile and whoop she did made my day!
This made me laugh out loud, thanks.

The young RSO at the local range cant quit calling my flinters "muskets" no matter how many times I explain the difference. He has even put videos of my shooting on the range's FB page, all talking about how awsome it is to see someone shooting a "musket". Some people just cant be taught I rekon.

Chris
We have some CW folk here, all have Percussion Mississippi, Springfield, etc.
Not of them have shot round ball or a Flint but upon meeting me they were excited to learn.
They were quick to show me their rifles;
"Here's my Musket" as the first hands his to me...
I looked and said "That dont look like Smootbore...." as I peeked down the barrel.
He looked at me like a deer in the headlight.

It's been going on two years now and still they keep referring to their "Muskets".
They also haven't grasped the purpose of a 'patch', or purchased their cleaning kit....oh well: $40 per rifle is fine by me...extra if I have to fetch out a dry ball!

I got a 1902 LC Smith damascus 16 gua. hammer gun for free from a fellow whose dad had put it up in the rafters of their barn some time back in the 1950's, because he had somehow knocked the forestock lump off. He taped the forestock in place (thank the Powers), and I was able to make a new lug and restore the gun to shootable condition. My fav.; a bit less kick than a 12, and I can miss just as often. I just shoot black in it.
The 16 gauge is becoming a favorite with me. Nothing gets people's attention more than a nice cloud of BP smoke!

Probably the same ones scared of the mighty AR-15...
Trouble is it's the same the whole world over, there is so much mis-information regarding guns and shooting in general. A large percentage of the population don't want to know and an even larger percentage (Politicians included) think they know! A recipe for disaster...

Latest posts

Back