• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Comments at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In similar vein I had just shot on Stickledown at 900 using a 451 made up from an old Martini barrel. getting up find a boy who asked" What are you shooting at ?" his parents looking on evidently expected dust to fly up 50 yards off perhaps . But I pointed out the distant gallery targets going up & down ".Them are the targets". ' Muskets' arn't supposed to go that far I suppose.
Rudyard

I was shooting my GPR at a 100 yard target at a public range probably 20 years ago. A guy comes over and asks what Im shooting at. I say " that target at 100". His reply was "oh, I didnt think those things could go that far", an then walked away. Guy musta watched too many movies where the combatants were only 50 yards apart and thought thats as far as theyd fire.

Nowdays I belong to a club that has a specific black powder range. So now I dont have to hear that kind of stupidity anymore.

Young guy at the shooting range thought it was great that someone finally invented a muzzleloader that does not need to use the shotgun primers. Really need how the gun was made to look old fashioned. He thought flintlock was a new invention. Makes you wonder what is going on in school these days.

Just about always have people come over asking questions. Most of them have never actually seen a flintlock before.
I know what you mean. These days schools don't teach the young ones much about history. When I was a kid we knew all about Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, The American Revolution and the guns used back then. I knew what a flintlock was long before I actually saw one, Back then, it was a rarity to see someone using one or even having one in their possession. Reproduction flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders had not yet been invented. For my 8th grade American History class our teacher gave all of us projects to make something that we would today call "period correct." My assignment was to make a powder horn. I knew what it was, but I had no idea how to make one. Living on a farm my dad helped me get it started with one of the horns he had in the barn. I used my great-grandfather's actual powder horn, hanging on display in my bedroom, as a guide.

I was shooting my GPR at a 100 yard target at a public range probably 20 years ago. A guy comes over and asks what Im shooting at. I say " that target at 100". His reply was "oh, I didnt think those things could go that far", an then walked away. Guy musta watched too many movies where the combatants were only 50 yards apart and thought thats as far as theyd fire.

Nowdays I belong to a club that has a specific black powder range. So now I dont have to hear that kind of stupidity anymore.
There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance. By what you said that fellow was ignorant. You missed an opportunity to educate him and let him take a shot or two with your gun. You might have recruited another black powder enthusiasts.

Once at a public range, I a guy say, what the hell do you have in that thing? Just a moment after I fired my 50 caliber deerhunter rifle. The look on his face was priceless.

At the range yesterday shooting a Deerhunter and a Trapper one of the gals asked to try the Deerhunter. After the boom, flame and smoke cleared away she hollered, "My God! It's like the Fourth of July!!" 😁

What other comments have y'all heard about our chosen firearms?

wm
There was a young couple shooting some kind of .22 next to me at a 25 yard target. They were on the paper but nothing I'd call a group. They walked over before leaving the range. I was between shots and swabbing the barrel of my .45 Pedersoli Flintlock. After seeing the target out at the 100 yard mark, he asked " Can you actually hit that target way out there. At that moment the Range officer called a cease fire for target changes. I invited him to take a walk with me. I showed him my first shot high and left and I marked it with a #1 then my second shot low and right (over corrected) and the next three shots walking them into the 10 ring. I marked each shot and went back to the shooting bench. I loaded the weapon and let him take a shot. His shot hit just under my number one shot, high and left.
He had his girlfriend take a picture of him holding the gun. I haven't seen them again but I bet he talks about that day.
Neil

At the range yesterday shooting a Deerhunter and a Trapper one of the gals asked to try the Deerhunter. After the boom, flame and smoke cleared away she hollered, "My God! It's like the Fourth of July!!" 😁

wm
"Do you think you're in the civil war? (And my favorite) "How can you even lift this thing!?" And regarding the possible bag "Is that a purse?" 😂

I know what you mean. These days schools don't teach the young ones much about history. When I was a kid we knew all about Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, The American Revolution and the guns used back then. I knew what a flintlock was long before I actually saw one, Back then, it was a rarity to see someone using one or even having one in their possession. Reproduction flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders had not yet been invented. For my 8th grade American History class our teacher gave all of us projects to make something that we would today call "period correct." My assignment was to make a powder horn. I knew what it was, but I had no idea how to make one. Living on a farm my dad helped me get it started with one of the horns he had in the barn. I used my great-grandfather's actual powder horn, hanging on display in my bedroom, as a guide.
History is just one of the things missing from modern curricula.

I get a lot of comments when there are people there, which is seldom, some good natured ribbing, and lots of questions which I am always happy to answer. Cuz, after make'n em, shoot'n em, I enjoy talk'n bout em. One comment still brings a smile to my face when I think about it, I was shooting this .62 caliber Jaeger and a fellow and his girl walk up and he says, more like a statement than a question, 'Hawken, huh, .50 cal, huh'. :dunno:
IM000675.jpeg

Sometimes it just seems you should just smile politely and say nothing.
Robby

I asked a young fellow if he wanted to shoot my GPR. He couldn't have been more than 10. His granddad said, "Not everyone gets to shoot a musket." Dialed it back to 30grs 2F and let him take aim off the bench. After asking what he thought, wide eyed he said, "Terrifying."

Some folks seem amazed when I tell them it’s a 50 or 62 caliber. However, the deer hunters that show up two weeks before season opens to sight in their modern plastic fantastics never seem to notice.

wm
Out hunting doves with my muzzleloader and a guy came by looking for his dog. When he saw my M/L shotgun he says, " A shotgun muzzleloader, I didn't know they made such a thing!"

"That a Damascus barrel?"
Yup.
"What do you shoot out of it?"
Full house of black powder.
"Oh." (looking worried)
Pull! BOOOM!!!
"HOLY F***! I'm outta here! (and he left the line)

True story (except it was only 70 gr FF). Lots of folks believe the folk tales about Damascus guns.

I love these comments. I've talked with many that think muzzleloaders are weak and underpowered weapons. Then I remind them of the carnage of the civil war.

I incorporate black powder history in my hunter ed classes . On the firing range after shooting I hear WOW, YES
and DID YOU SERE THAT. When parents come to pick up their kids I'll hear the kids telling mom and dads about
shooting the black powder rifles with great excitement. A few will ask about the cleaning and I will give them
a quick [ although we all know there is no quick way} run down and demonstration on cleaning. Some will ask
if they could go hunting with me , no dad in the house, I tell them if their mom calls me we;ll see what we can do.
I have taken 3 or 4 over the years. In fact there is one that I exchange birthday and christmas cards. I even participated in his wedding as a usher. He now owns several black powder firearms and is a avid hunter with same
gunnyr

Back