• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Comments at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let a Vietnamese teen age girl shoot my Sharps 45-70 at 100 yards 4 or 5 years ago. She knew how to use a scope and found the target easily. She wasn’t strong enough to set the trigger so I did it for her! I stood 3 feet behind her and when it went bang she flew off the stool! I caught her in mid air!!! The smile and whoop she did made my day!

One evening a State Trooper approached me as I was shooting. He said he received a report that someone was shooting near the levee. When he noticed what I was holding he asked "what the heck is that". I showed him the gun and the loading procedure. After he knocked down two blackbirds in a row we ended up using all of the powder I had on hand - taking turns to shoot. Then, with sincere regret he said, "Son, I'm sorry, but you can't shoot here anymore." Damn, I missed those evenings.

The Trooper was right.... because you had run out of powder.

The young RSO at the local range cant quit calling my flinters "muskets" no matter how many times I explain the difference. He has even put videos of my shooting on the range's FB page, all talking about how awsome it is to see someone shooting a "musket". Some people just cant be taught I rekon.

Chris

When I am the first to fire a shot at the range.....”Damn! How much powder are you using?!” (70 grains, .50 cal.)

Before they say anything comes the smile. I love to see that smile. Especially the kids. I am thinking "got him/her hooked". Some people will say nothing but "thank you". I believe that most of them just want to enjoy the memory.
For the most part, that is the reaction we get from the NRA Women On Target program that is held at my home range. After the first shot, it is followed up with "can I try it again"?

Several years ago, I was shooting the .54 GPR. An older man, probably near 80, was shooting a .22-250 on the other end to get the scope zeroed. After I fired about the tent shot, he came over to watch. He said "I always wanted one of those but I don't want to blow my shoulder off." I told him I'd load it down for him to try a "light" load. he said "I didnt know you could do that!" So I loaded down from 100 gr 2F to 60gr and had him shoot from the bench. He hit 3 out of 3 on paper and had a big smile on his face. Thanked me several times and we talked for a while. I enjoy letting others shoot my BP guns.

How about none? I'm usually amid those with the unmentionable smokeless which is fine, but comments or questions? Nope; nothing. Sad thing is though I've not encountered another who's sighting in or practicing with a muzzleloader.

Young guy at the shooting range thought it was great that someone finally invented a muzzleloader that does not need to use the shotgun primers. Really need how the gun was made to look old fashioned. He thought flintlock was a new invention. Makes you wonder what is going on in school these days.

Just about always have people come over asking questions. Most of them have never actually seen a flintlock before.
Personally I don't like the "primer" modern in-line stuff at all.

"What the h**l is that smell! Those things shouldn't be allowed here...". The guy was being such an a** the range RSO had to intervene. I'm lucky that now I live where I can safely shoot off the back porch.
Most ranges will have a BP section or area. They just don't mix well with modern shooters. Suits most of us just fine!

After I put three shots into a cloverleaf at 50 yards with my CVA Kentucky the guy next to me with his unmentionable with a red dot on it said "That's f--in' impossible!"
Yep, and we do it with open sights. "You got a better group than i got and i got a scope!"

Latest posts

Back