• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Combustible Envelope Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have some problem with the forum you better tell it to Zonie I guess...
I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE FORUM. IF I UNDERSTAND IT IS THAT I WANT THE COMMENTS OUT WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE THEM. THE FORUM, AGAIN AS I UNDERSTAND IT IS OK. BUT THE PEOPLE RESPOND TO ME IN WHAT I GUESS ARE THE JUST BETWEEN US GUYS ALERTS.
IT AIN'T THE FORUM, IT'S US.
DUTCH

Finally tried the cartridges shown at the beginning of this thread. Bottom target is them with SPG-lubed felt wad over the ball. Six shots near aiming point and a wad bruise at very top of paper. Plenty good. Upper target is six shots near aiming point, same 17 grains FFFg but without paper envelope; wonder lubed felt wad under the ball. Plenty good also. 004.JPG
But, here's what was left in the chambers after the cartridges. Neither a Q-tip nor a toothpick would remove the stuff so the revolver was disassembled and all but one tiny bit at the bottom of one chamber was then cleared. For that last bit the nipple for that chamber had to be removed. 005.JPG
Most of the unburned paper was the double-thickness overlap. Remember, I didn't nitrate the paper but before you say Ahaa! note the number of posts in other threads on the subject that suggest nitrating isn't necessary...

The residues are mostly following the glue and the twice thickness of paper and this is largely the problem with that kind of rolled cartridges...
This can happend with no treated paper with KNO³ and a bit excessive gluing.... and this happend too sometimes when all seems good...
17 grains of charge you say, thats pretty good for 25 yards target shooting but may be not enough to burns all the paper and perhaps that the reason of the treating wit salpeter helps: the salpeter gives the oxygen...
Witch was the distance for these shots... ?

I'm just going to go with an 1840's-50's type "choked ball" or cartridge in which no paper goes in the chamber. I'm in no hurry at the range and it's still historically correct.

Back