• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

combustable cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.50cal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Worth the time to make or not? havent used enough of them to tell. Any change in the point of impact? Will .452 LC conical bullets work also or just round ball? thanks

If you do a search on paper cartridges, you will find two very recent threads on this. I recently made up 50 cartridges with cigarette paper. I loved the loading ease, but they were a nightmare when it came to clogging the nipples.

The issue for me came down to the cartridge not full burning away and leaving crud in the bottom of the cylinder. This would cake up and make it very difficult to get ignition.

Not worth the effort to me. I am finding faster ways to load anyway.

Rikeman, have you tried nitrating the paper? That may get rid of your fouling problem. Emery

mazo kid said:
Rikeman, have you tried nitrating the paper? That may get rid of your fouling problem. Emery

No I have not tried that yet. I may try that in the future. Right now I am still playing with my loads.

Reb: would you be so kind as to give a step by step description of making cartriges from tea bags? I've never tried cartriges with my 1860 replica Army Colt, but would like to. Shooting them is fun, but reloading is slow. I have a mental picture of some cavalry private busy with his pistol saying: "Go ahead and start the charge without me, colonel. I'll be along as soon as I get this thing loaded." thanks, graybeard

THERE WAS ONE BRIGHT SPOT. COL.DAVID SHANK'S BRIGADE OF SHELBY'S DIV.- FORMERLY SHELBY'S OWN COMMAND ("THE IRON BRIGADE"). IT WAS MADE UP OF VETERAN, BATTLE-HARDENED MISSOURIANS, EACH OF WHOM CARRIED SEVERAL REVOLVERS IN ADDITION TO A CARBINE OR A RIFLE.(

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:iegaMm7dXRsJ:www.webster.edu/~corbetre/dogtown/history/schmidt/schmidt3.html+confederate+calvary+carried+several+pistols&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

I use cheap flo thru tea bags and pour the tea out(some folks have a problem with this)Cut the bags into four rectangles along the fold lines. Run a thin line of Elmers glue along one narrow end glue it around the fat part of a ball. Next I take a wood dowel that's slightly smaller than the ball and cupped on one end. Set the ball in the cup and wrap the paper around the dowel and glue it lengthwise and remove the dowel. After it dries pour in a measured powder charge and twist the end, then tie it off with a piece of thread and tear off the excess. You can also ad a drop of glue to the twisted end to make it more secure. I don't think I left anything out. Been awhile since I made any. It is kinda time consuming to make but sure makes shooting easier. You don't have to tear off the end just load the whole thing. You don't need a wad either but it is a good idea to at least lube the front of every other ball to keep fouling soft. These are for .44's. You can probably do some precise measuring and get more than four cartridges out of a bag but I'm lazy.

Thanks, Rebel. I'll try to make some this week. The way our weather is going, I probably won't feel like going outside to shoot for a while. :shake: It's 3 above right now and snowing. thanks again, graybeard

If you use the entire cigarette paper you get a lot of crud. It helps to cut cigarette paper into an isocelses trapezoid with a "trap door" at the bottom to cover the end of the cartridge. That way there is only one thickness of paper on the cartridge.
IMHO it's fun to experiemnt but combustible cartridges were emergency, fast reload type ammuntion. When time allowed- it was better to reload in the normal fashion.

It certainly is faster and usually the first round of cartridges go off without too much issue......it is the following loads that get progressivly worse.

I think the opperation could certainly be improved on by nitrating the paper or using a more consumable source for the cartridge.

I had 25 cartridges left over from the original group that I made. This time befor loading, I tore a small hole in the bottom of the cartridge. As I loaded it, it would partially empty into the cylinder. The upper portion of the patially empty cartridge would act as a wadding under the ball that I would load sepparate. Actually worked out pretty well.

P.S. I looked at the magic flash paper. Prohibitively expensive!

I just skimmed through the thread. Doesn't Dixie Gun works sell the templates and paper for paper patch? Or, did I see it somewhere else?

crockett -
I certainly mean no disrespect, but it's been a awfully long time since math class. Could you do a diagram of your isosceles trapazoid with the trap door? It sounds like it'll work a lot better than a full paper. I've had some trouble with those in the past as well.

Marty

Back