Comanche Spaniard

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by jrmflintlock, Dec 21, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2018 #1

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.

In the year of our Lord 1773, My Mother, Olivia Sarafina Romero Martinez who traveled to America with her husband, a Spanish soldier, Manuel Antonio Martinez, to settle New Spain in the providence of Sonora. In the fall of that year, they set out with a group of Spanish colonists and soldiers from Sonora to California, her husband was killed by raiding Apache’s and my mother was captured. She endured great hardship crossing the Arizona Desert with the Apache.

My Mother along with other captives were taken Northeast and sold to the Quahadi Comanche, or Antelope Eaters Tribe of Comanche. One of the tribal elders, Hai Bisiip (Raven Feather), a kind Comanche woman took a liking to my mother and took her in. In the summer of 1775 my mother became the wife of Daddawin Bunggu (Spotted Horse), a Comanche Warrior, the son of Raven Feather. I was born in the spring of 1776 in what is present day Colorado. The people called me, Ah-bat Dua, meaning “Large Son”, because they had never seen such a large Baby. Having been adopted by my Comanche Grandmother and married into her family, no harm came to us and we were well taken care of. Though my mother was now happy she still longed to get back to Spain. I grew up learning the ways of Comanche from my Father, Grandmother and the people. My Mother also ensured that I learn the language and ways of her people, the Spanish.

In the winter of my 15th year, my father was killed by a raiding Kiowa war party. My mother was saddened by the death of her second husband and her desire to be back in Spain grew. After 17 years with the Comanche, our Comanche Family allowed me to take my mother back to Spain. After a long journey across the south, and eventually boarding a Spanish ship in Florida sailing to Spain, we arrived in Barcelona. My mother and I settled with my Spanish Paternal Grandparents, my Maternal Grandparents had long since passed away. My Spanish Grandfather was a kind man and had me apprenticed as a Blacksmith/gunsmith in Barcelona. I learned the ways of Spanish, but the Comanche ways ran through my veins and I longed for the land of my youth back in the Americas.

I worked to care for my mother until 1801, my 25th year, when My Mother passed away. Without her to keep me in Barcelona, I made my way across Spain, France and Germany working as a blacksmith/gunsmith or laborer. In 1810, I bought passage on a trade ship back to the Americas.. Upon landing in Virginia, I again found work as a gunsmith/blacksmith and laborer. After working my way to Missouri, in 1816, longing for the Plains and mountains of my youth and headed west. Upon returning to the land of the Comanche, I learned that shortly after my mother and I left, our village had been all but exterminated by Spanish Soldiers from Taos! Torn by two cultures I moved further North and West into the mountains. It is currently the winter of 1818, and I am currently roaming the wilds of Central Oregon trapping and trading beaver and other furs to the Britishers at Fort George!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Einsiedler likes this.
  2. Dec 26, 2018 #2

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Well I have to say bravo for your fine imagination. Are you roaming east of the Cascades solo, or attached to one of the great fur companies? Cannot help but recommend you look to the streams arising in all directions from Crater Lake. Peter Skene Ogden's men won't trap them for another seven years. Just watch out for the Modoc to the southeast.

3. Jan 6, 2019 #3

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.

Thanks Bill!!

Right now I’m mostly on my own but I have made good friends with a few other Hiverants and some company men!!

Just trying to keep my Hair!!

4. Jan 12, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

It sounds like the bases for a good novel.
    Can you imagine the life of a boy raised Comanche in Spain? “I am a stranger in a strange land.”
    Think of those language skills. Comanche, Spanish French German then English
    Think of how valuable you would be to a fur company.
    Think of the stories he/ you would have to tell:)

5. Jan 12, 2019 #5

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

6. Jan 13, 2019 #6

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Neat story.

7. Jan 26, 2019 #7

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.

Thanks!! I have been working on it for a while!

8. Feb 8, 2019 #8

Steve Milbocker

Steve Milbocker

Steve Milbocker

32 Cal

I'd read that book! :)