• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt wood grips, how to

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I like better wood on my Colts so I make them this way.
Step one: remove the grip frame and smooth and flatten the sides, as little as possible.
IMG_0665 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Step two: select the wood and cut to over size. A piece that is about 1 1/4" allows you to match the grain but if you have wood that is 5/8" thick that can work.
IMG_0664 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Step three: with the thick piece cut the slabs off a bit thicker then finished size, this one required the slabs to be .530" finished.
IMG_0667 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

The saw cut sides need to be flat and smooth to lay up to the frame. By cutting them off the same side keeps the grain and figure near the same. And the top corner need to match the angle of the frame and grip. This isn't all ways 90 degrees!
IMG_0669 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Step four: measure the thickness of the frame and make a piece of wood that thickness. On this one that is .390" then cut to fit the frame like the one shown above. A small piece of wood can be cut to place between the main spring and this spacer to hold it in place. It's important that the spacer fit the frame well.
IMG_0670 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

At this point glue and clamp the slabs to the spacer while on the frame being carful to have the square corner hard up to the receiver.
IMG_0671 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice looking, but because the back strap can be separated from the front strap, I made C&B Colt grips via inletting a solid block of whatever fancy wood for both front/back straps, ending in a correct 1-piece grip.

I never needed to file on the sides of the grip frame straps. (YMMV)

It made for a nice Winter project.

Once cured use a pencil to trace the frame to the wood and remove for rough shaping.
I like to add the serial number to the grip because Colt did, here you can see the pencil lines. Note how the grain appears to flow threw.

IMG_0673 by Oliver
Sudden
, on Flickr
Back on the pistol I use electical tape to protect the metal as I file down to size then scribe a line to the frame. remove them and sand down to the scribe mark.

IMG_0674 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

At this point I put on a sealer coat of oil then refit them to the frame to look for spots that don't match like this, remove and trim till you're happy with the fit.
IMG_0675 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back