• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt Walker vs Dragoon more fun to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4deer

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Every now and then I get to thinking about the Colt Walker and it's 60 grains of black powder and how fun it would be to shoot.... So far I've kept my wallet safe for quite a few years.

Today I caught interest again and was reading more about the differences between models and saw one author casually mention going from 60 to 50 gains with the Dragoon really wasn't a big deal since you only lose 100fps.

Then I'm like with my Remington 1858 I've loaded at least 40 maybe even 45 grains under a ball before... Been awhile so I'd have to test again and see. If 5 or 10 grains is no big deal maybe I should just be happy with what I have.

On the other hand if I'm going for the most "bang for my buck" it seems like a Dragoon shouldn't be on my radar since the Walker would be the only one to truly give me that bigger boom I'm craving. Then there's the loading lever failing issue that makes the Dragoon better....

Guess I need a fanticy gun... Which then makes me wish for my Remington with a longer cylinder. So my wallet stays safe so far.

Last edited:
Both are heavy pieces but the walker tends to get my arm/hand shaking pretty darn quick

I would heavily recommend you get the Dragoon. The Walker is awesome for its size and the history around it, but that size is exactly what eventually makes it just turn into a PITA to shoot. The Dragoon has all the good parts of the Walker while being significantly handier. Muscle man or not, a day spent on the range shooting the Walker involves shakey arms by the end.

Every now and then I get to thinking about the Colt Walker and it's 60 gains of black powder and how fun it would be to shoot.... So far I've kept my wallet safe for quite a few years.

Today I caught interest again and was reading more about the differences between models and saw one author casually mention going from 60 to 50 gains with the Dragoon really wasn't a big deal since you only lose 100fps.

Then I'm like with my Remington 1858 I've loaded at least 40 maybe even 45 grains under a ball before... Been awhile so I'd have to test again and see. If 5 or 10 grains is no big deal maybe I should just be happy with what I have.

On the other hand if I'm going for the most "bang for my buck" it seems like a Dragoon shouldn't be on my radar since the Walker would be the only one to truly give me that bigger boom I'm craving. Then there's the loading lever failing issue that makes the Dragoon better....

Guess I need a fanticy gun... Which then makes me wish for my Remington with a longer cylinder. So my wallet stays safe so far.
In the late 80's I knew a guy in northern Alabama that machined himself a really beautifully crafted high strength alloy stainless .410 gauge "1858 Remington" with an elongated frame, a long shotgun length cylinder and 12" barrel. It was a truly awesome piece so yeah, it can be done.

If you looking for fire, flame, smoke, and a big boom get the Walker. It is a PITA to shoot, my biggest complaint is the caps often binding the cylinder. Until you start shaking it is also very accurate at long distances. For a nice easy, relatively trouble free day at the range I like the 1851 Navy.

Dragoon is my preference. The Walkers loading lever falls down between shots.
Lol that's what I was about afraid of based on a YouTube video I saw. I see Uberti claims the Dragoon does well with the loading lever. Does that match other people's experience?

I've shot them both. My Armi San Marco Walker's loading lever dropped every time with anything over 40 grains of powder. Dragoons don't do dat. Both are fun, but you need a piece of leather thong to hold the loading lever up with the Walker. The only thing I liked about my ASM Walker was the fact that most of it was made of stainless steel, so rust was never much of an issue. I like the 1860 Army clones better.

Both of my Uberti Dragoon occasionally drop the lever with full charges.

With full 50-60gr charges of 1F black powder, my Walker levers do not drop , even with full day of shooting.

1F in the big Colts is fun, it probably doesn't make much real difference but it works so I'm sticking with it. It seems like it makes more of a rolling boom and recoil is more of a gentle shove. And I get good accuracy

Both are an easy fix with a small file. Don't let the loading lever drop be a deciding factor.

The size difference is negligible , they're both huge guns

I fired 100 rounds through my pair of Walkers recently, and that was a fairly athletic event. With all the loading and shooting ......I am a reasonably active guy and I was definitely tired and sore that night.

I gravitate more towards my Walkers over anything else , more and more because they've become my go-to, do anything Range fun guns . And as I get older, I get lazier......so bringing a pair of huge revolvers to the gun club allows me to play in the pistol pits where long guns aren't allowed.....shoot on the rifle range at 100 yards from the bench.....or shoot at the "multi use" range area where it's pretty much a lawless free fire zone and I'll be there with a pair of Walkers shooting a steel swinger next to a guy who's mag dumping an AK.

Plus it's easier to clean up when I get home. I can sit at my bench and leisurely clean 2 Walkers vs having to go outside and clean a rifle.

The Walkers feel a little more capable at 100 yards than my Dragoons.

I favor my walker over my other C&P revolvers. Primarily because I just find it to be a bit more fun than the others and secondarily because of a familial connection. I have a direct descendant who was one of the early Texas Rangers, and though I don't know for certain, there is a greater than zero chance that he was issued one.
The lever on my Walker does not fall down at all. I fixed that issue in the same manner Mr. Colt fixed it. I installed the later style lever latch. The Walker lever clip combined with the lever latch holds the lever in place even at maximum loads.
I will concede that the Dragoon is a handier sidearm than the Walker, but then if that was my criteria I would favor my 1860 Army.
Also keep in mind that if the need arises to pistol whip some miscreant or sassing barkeep then the Walker is hands down the better choice. 😁

I favor my walker over my other C&P revolvers. Primarily because I just find it to be a bit more fun than the others and secondarily because of a familial connection. I have a direct descendant who was one of the early Texas Rangers, and though I don't know for certain, there is a greater than zero chance that he was issued one.
The lever on my Walker does not fall down at all. I fixed that issue in the same manner Mr. Colt fixed it. I installed the later style lever latch. The Walker lever clip combined with the lever latch holds the lever in place even at maximum loads.
I will concede that the Dragoon is a handier sidearm than the Walker, but then if that was my criteria I would favor my 1860 Army.
Also keep in mind that if the need arises to pistol whip some miscreant or sassing barkeep then the Walker is hands down the better choice. 😁
People have filed little flat spots in the Walker catch , I haven't done that yet.

Your ancestor was probably annoyed by his Walkers dropping levers too , it's an historical connection

If you looking for fire, flame, smoke, and a big boom get the Walker. It is a PITA to shoot, my biggest complaint is the caps often binding the cylinder. Until you start shaking it is also very accurate at long distances. For a nice easy, relatively trouble free day at the range I like the 1851 Navy.
Don't remember the source, but someone makes 'cap retainers, or keepers' that prevent busted caps from jamming your action. Search for 'black powders revolver cap retainers.' You should get close.

Don't remember the source, but someone makes 'cap retainers, or keepers' that prevent busted caps from jamming your action. Search for 'black powders revolver cap retainers.' You should get close.
Thanks. I generally don't have caps getting into the action. They wedge between the frame and cylinder. Easy to flick out with a toothpick in most cases. I checked out the retainers, interesting idea, but between having to install them and then having to remove them after firing, it seems that will involve more time than what I'm doing now....and cost.

I would heavily recommend you get the Dragoon. The Walker is awesome for its size and the history around it, but that size is exactly what eventually makes it just turn into a PITA to shoot. The Dragoon has all the good parts of the Walker while being significantly handier. Muscle man or not, a day spent on the range shooting the Walker involves shakey arms by the end.
And which model Dragoon do you recommend?

Mechanically they're basically the same so it's more about square back trigger guards, round trigger guards or the Walker grip of the Whitneyville. My Whitneyville is the most accurate of all ( but I love the Walker grip!!)

Mike

Back