• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Walker question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.Bruce

40 Cal
Reaction score
Will Goons Gun Works (or anyone else) install a late model loading lever latch onto a Uberti Colt Walker?

I would be willing to pay decent money to have such a service performed, say $100-$200. I am guessing that because of the rounded surfaces of the barrel and loading lever, that it is not an easy fix.

I know that it's not HC, or PC, but I have always wanted a Walker with a reliable loading lever latch, just like the one on my old 1860 Army. I have never purchased a Walker replica because of the droopy loading lever.

I am well aware of all of the other traditional fixes for the Walker's droopy loading lever. Let me state right now that I have zero interest in those fixes, or in keeping a Uberti Walker 100% HC.

What I am interested in is a hunting pistol whose loading lever NEVER drops down to interfere with a follow up shot, especially if hunting feral hogs, or black bear.

Lodgewood replaced one for me on a Spanish brevet Walker I had once upon a time.

I would think the Dragoon or ROA would make a better gun for that. My Ruger likes a weighed 38 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford and it looks like the bullet that will fill the void would weigh about 230 grns with a big wide meplat. That will go nose to tail through an adult hog. I’d take the weight and size savings of either of the two, and I’m contemplating cutting the barrel down to ~5.5” to make it a more user friendly sidearm.

But if you’re set on a Walker I’d look into fixing the spring latch it has. Many have fixed theirs from dropping with no need for custom work.

Will Goons Gun Works (or anyone else) install a late model loading lever latch onto a Uberti Colt Walker?

I would be willing to pay decent money to have such a service performed, say $100-$200. I am guessing that because of the rounded surfaces of the barrel and loading lever, that it is not an easy fix.

I know that it's not HC, or PC, but I have always wanted a Walker with a reliable loading lever latch, just like the one on my old 1860 Army. I have never purchased a Walker replica because of the droopy loading lever.

I am well aware of all of the other traditional fixes for the Walker's droopy loading lever. Let me state right now that I have zero interest in those fixes, or in keeping a Uberti Walker 100% HC.

What I am interested in is a hunting pistol whose loading lever NEVER drops down to interfere with a follow up shot, especially if hunting feral hogs, or black bear.
Should be an easy task with a hacksaw, file and correct parts from an Uberti Dragoon. Or as @rodwha suggested, get a Dragoon. Although you didn’t ask, personally find the Walker a little more than a bit cumbersome in either a hip or shoulder rig. I carry a couple different large caliber centerfire handguns and have found a 6” or so barrel about optimum for carrying in a holster, hip or shoulder in hunting conditions. Plus once you start modifying a Walker, it ain’t a Walker anymore, at least in my opinion, so back to the Dragoon.......

I fixed mine many years ago by taking off the lever retention bar (after shaping it properly) then hardening it slightly. They are soft iron when they come from the factory, hardening it slightly gives it a stronger spring action.

Just "snug" the loading-lever screw...works great at stopping lever drop on Walkers and Dragoons

If you are set on using a Walker as a sidearm for things that bite you might want to lop off several inches of that barrel too. A huge heavy pistol just doesn’t seem ideal, especially if/when things happen in a rush.

You might check with Gary at cartridgeconversion.com he could do what you require.

I will say this much; Goon worked the stock latch on my Walker and it's 10X better than it was.

I can't answer that as I haven't been able to shoot it yet this season due to range closures from Covid. I do know that before I gave it to him it would drop if you sneezed on it. Even my first and second Dragoons will drop the latch with full house loads on occasion even with the latch, so that's not a foolproof fix.

If you are set on using a Walker as a sidearm for things that bite you might want to lop off several inches of that barrel too. A huge heavy pistol just doesn’t seem ideal, especially if/when things happen in a rush.
If it is something that might bite, I would suggest an unmentionable with a very large hole in the barrel. Fun is fun, but think things over. PC or ER.
Bunk

Here is what I did last winter...

!cid_5500B786B0A44599B7C84ECB2BDCFCC4@Userpc.jpg
100_6928.JPG

I made the removable lever pin from some old screen door hardware.
100_7103.JPG
100_6936.JPG
100_6938.JPG

Last edited:
With 40 grns. of 3F, and a .454RB, MY Walkers don't have the "lever problem". IF they do start, I'll spend 10¢ and buy a 5/8" O-ring to hold the lever up....... 😁

Back