• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt Walker Original Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a Uberti Walker replica from a member here which was a kit. The bluing is not quite right and I am considering refinishing the gun. My Question is: What was the original finish on a Walker? I have been told that the cylinders were left in the white. Was the frame case hardened, blued, or left in the white? I have handled an original,and it showed no signs of bluing at. Anyone know?

I think the originals are case hardened frame and loading lever with a blue cylinder and barrel. My Uberti is like this. I don't know if any originals survive with original finish.

Here's the gun got it today. Nice smooth action typical for Uberti. I am hoping to match the original finish.
DSC00773.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

I think I will go white cylinder. I've used Navel Jelly before, it should leave an old "in the white look. I couldn't tell, does the original have a blued or case colored frame?

yep...Naval Jelly will strip the blue off the cylinder really quick!
The originals had case hardened frames....this particular on is said to be the best existing example and it looks like it has alot of case remaining on the frame.

Naval jelly well leave a French Gray appearance. If you want the original in the white use vinegar or a commercial remover.

The original Walker had CCH frame and loading lever, blued barrel and grip frame with the cylinder in the white.

2nd gen with cylinder in the white.
Mywalker01.jpg

Original with patina.
pix262955625.jpg

The original Walker had CCH frame and loading lever, blued barrel and grip frame with the cylinder in the white.
Both of the pictures of original Walkers in this thread appear to have brass trigger guards, but I can't tell what the backstraps are. By 'grip frame' did you mean backstrap?

According to Flayderman's Guide the Walker had:

"One piece Walnut grips. Case hardened frame, hammer, and lever; balance blued, excepting plain brass trigger guard, and the cylinder "in the white".

This would indicate the grip backstrap was blued iron which is what my Walker reproduction has.

Mine Has A Blue Cylinder. I Now Know It's Not PC But I'm Thinking It Looks Good. :surrender:
nilo52

Back