• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt Walker, Colt Navy .44's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpatrick

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have these two cap and ball revolvers.
Just wondering what the thoughts are on cleaning the cylinders in a parts bath or an ultra sonic cleaner.
Any suggestions or warnings?
Thanks for any information,

M

These ones were cleaned before being put away. They just need oiled real bad. The rifle is what I used when going shooting with my uncle.
I was just thinking for future.
I used an ultra sonic cleaner for my stainless modern pistol and its suppressor and those parts came out looking brand new like they'd never been fired. I was just looking for opportunity to feed my laziness.
Thanks guys!
M

If you use the sonic on blued parts they will come out completely clean... right down to the BARE metal... as in, NO BLUEING LEFT on your cylinders.

If you use the sonic on blued parts they will come out completely clean... right down to the BARE metal... as in, NO BLUEING LEFT on your cylinders.
Really? I mean, why would it take the bluing off? I use warm water and Soylent...uhhh...Simple Green in mine.
Never had an issue but I haven't used it for BP parts. Just unmentionables.

wm

I have these two cap and ball revolvers.
Just wondering what the thoughts are on cleaning the cylinders in a parts bath or an ultra sonic cleaner.
Any suggestions or warnings?
Thanks for any information,

M
Don’t make too big of a production of the cleaning process. You will find yourself putting off shooting some days because you don’t want to spend two hours cleaning afterwards.
In my humble opinion, there is little reason to spend more than 20 minutes on the job-30 tops. I use Ballistol and 70% isopropyl alcohol. Sometimes plain water and oil afterwards.
I only do a complete teardown every 6 months or about 200 rounds-whichever comes first.

Latest posts

Back