• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt revolving rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colt's revolving pistol is very generally admitted, both in Europe and America, to be the most efficient arm of its kind known at the present day. As the same principles are involved in the fabrication of his breech-loading rifle as are found in the pistol, the conviction to me is irresistible, that, if one arm is worthy of consideration, the other is equally so. For my own part, I look upon Colt's new patent rifles as a most excellent arm for border services. It gives six shots in more rapid succession than any other rifle I know of, and these, if properly expended, are oftentimes sufficient to decide a contest; moreover, it is the most reliable and certain weapon to fire that I have ever used, and I can not resist the force of my conviction that, if I were alone upon the prairies, and expected an attack from a body of Indians, I am not acquainted with any arm I would as soon have in my hands as this. The Prairie Traveler, by Randolph Barnes Marcy, 1859

The closest I ever came was many years ago, when I was able to shoot a LeMat revolving rifle a dude had at the range of a gun club I was a member of, back then.

I was fortunate enough to have access to an original mould and laid in a good supply of bullets,so have shot mine frequently.

That rifle seems to have a ramrod as well (I assume only for cleaning) and it just looks strange to me!
Here’s some photos I took at Chattanooga National Military Park, the collection is huge.

6E58419E-2E26-402F-8620-7EBA1F53B692.jpeg
D8DBF1BA-DE74-4D7A-925C-12D769763197.jpeg
2AB0BAD1-21AF-4BEC-8A2E-2A5ACB08AA59.jpeg

That rifle seems to have a ramrod as well (I assume only for cleaning) and it just looks strange to me!
It is a cleaning rod, but it is too short for the barrel length so there is a short extension that is stored in the buttstock compartment. In the earlier model the cleaning rod was stored along the side of the barrel.
cleaning rod extension.jpg

I have been a fan of Mr Hunnicutt for years. My favorite episode of The Twilight Zone was "The Hunt". A few months ago, when I got a new puppy I named him Rip, after Hunnicutt's dog in the episode.

I'd love to have a colt .56 revolving carbine. Too bad Uberti doesn't make a copy, I'd be plenty happy with one of their reproductions.

Maybe I'll find one in my price range at a yard sale this summer. LOL

Why did they use a side hammer design? Why not the normal pistol configuration?

Back